Sick Bi-Color Angel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small sized Bi-color angel that looks as though he has a fever blister on his mouth. His body and fins all look fine his mouth is the only thing that doesn't look right. He has been in the tank for 3 weeks now. Not sure what this may be or what I should do next.

He is kept in a 90 gallon corner tank with LR along with snails, hermit crabs, and a clown fish. They all seem fine the angel is the only one with the problem on his mouth. All water parameters checked out fine. I use a wet/dry for the filtration system. Any suggestions?

What equipment is needed for a QT?

Could you hit us with some numbers instead of just saying the parameters are fine? Could you post a picture of the problem?

The QT does not need to be overly fancy. You'll need:
:arrow: An aquarium or other container large enough to house your largest fish. Aquariums have the advantages of being clear for easier observation of the sick fish, and being the right width for hang-on tank equiptment. Other container types can be used in a financial pinch.
:arrow: A filter of any type. I personally recommend a cheap sponge filter for this purpose. It is cheap, easy to set up, and areates the water really well. Areation can be important for some types of treatment. Whatever filter you choose, the carbon should be removed during any medicated treatment.
:arrow: A heater.
:arrow: Optional: Hood and light. If your fish is a jumper, some sort of covering is needed, but you don't need anything fancy here. The light will make fish observation easier, but a desk lamp will suit just as well as a regular aquarium light.
:arrow: Optional: PVC pipe sections large enough for your fish to hide in. Some fish feel much more secure in hiding.
:arrow: Recommended for saltwater: A separate container to pre-mix a large amount of saltwater in, in case emergency water changes are needed. In a QT tank that has not been cycled, you may have to do frequent 50% water changes to keep the ammonia levels down.

I'm not really the expert here, but I suspect a bacterial infection. It could also be an injury, in which case antibiotics will help prevent a secondary infection while the injury heals.

Is it getting worse at this point, staying the same, or getting better?

I would say also that you will need some antibiotic. Not much of a fish doctor. I would do some PWC in your tank to relieve stress in your tank. Also post parameters.

Back
Top Bottom