sick blue starfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gstewart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added a Blue starfish recently and he doesn't look very well. the first i noticed is apparently they can leave there stomachs with the food they are eating and grow new ones - which happened - it became dis attached from its body, then where the stomach was resting on the starfish when i moved it it left behind a white colouring - almost as if the old stomach was rotting and the body was rotting too ?? i then noticed a gash on him but do not know where this came from.

i have 2 yellow chromis, 1 blue damsel, 1 mono ( brackish ) , 1 blood shrimp and 3 turbo snails.. none of them have bothered him.

any help appreciated...

How recent?? Sounds like an acclimation issue. I assume by "blue starfish" you mean the blue linckia, they are VERY sensitive to changes in salinity, temp and ph, they should be slowly be drip acclimated over the course of 4-6 hours minimum.

Hi yes it seems to be one of those. It was last weekend he was added - sunday.

He seemed fine at first - noticed him go al bobbly and he was giving off something that looked like steam ?? ( some chemical i am sure ).

I dont understand the gash either ?? All i can say is my local marine centre didn't say anything like you mentioned..

hope he will be ok ?? Doesn't look good though... :(

Most likely he will not do well.. These are to be kept by Experts only.. As Kevin Stated they MUST be drip acclimated over 4-6 hour period and I will tell you When I end up getting one it will be longer than that.. A sign of an acclimation issue will be legs falling off, deterioration of the flesh, wrinkly looking...

Sounds like an acclimation issue.
I agree

HTH,
James

Thanks guys..

I feel very annoyed that i wasn't told this they knew I was starting out. :x

Now like you say the chances are hes not going to last long...

I know now to consult this forum before choosing anything else.

Gary

We all learn things the hard way.. It sucks but we have all gone thru it.. Most LFS dont know anything about their livestock and just sell to make the money.. There are a few out there that do know what they are talking about but very few..

James

Back
Top Bottom