sick butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertx859

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a sick red sea golden butterflyfish. He came down with velvet and I treated his QT tank with cupramine and he apparently seems to be fighting off the velvet, however, he won't eat like he did when Ifirst purchased him. Whenever I put food in the tank he swims around erratically and kind of shakes his head without eating anything. He is losing weight. I gave his a freshwater bath today. Whats wrong with him?

WELCOME TO AA!!

I would not treat a fish with a FW epecially if they were already that stressed. Have you tried soaking his food in garlic extreme? This sometimes will entice a finicky eater (although, there is no scietific proof), but it has been linked to better immune systems. I soak my frozen in garlic, selcon and Zoe for better health.

I agree that a FW dip will hurt more than help if the fish is stressed. I would also try garlic to get them to eat better. I`m just afraid after the FW dip he might become worse. I hope all goes well.

Thanks for the replies. I'll take the advice by trying to feed garlic laced food to see if he eats and I won't give him a freshwater dip.

Back
Top Bottom