Sick Candycane coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean knight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a candycane coral it is now turning brown and skeleton is showing does anyone know what is going on

Moved this post to its own thread in Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

sick coral

my candycane coral brown and i see the white skeleton is it dying?

brownjelly diease

will brown jelly iease hut my other corals because threr all closed
and the one that has the diease will it die

Yep, thats a sign of it dying. What are your tank conditions? Ammonia, nitrate, lighting, etc.

--Adeeb

dying coral

nova extreme 2 lamp 24w. nitrate is 10ppm nitrite is 0 ammonia is 0
ph is 8.8 i dont want to loose anymore coral

Brown jelly will only effect lps. The best thing to do is frag (cut or break off) the infected part and discard it. Dip the healthy heads in some iodine or coral rx and hope for the best.

is that why my corals are closed up and this tank only has 1 fish now
because my dwarf angel died yesterday should i do something about the ph

i would do a water change to lower it. how did you raise it that high in the first place?
how are you doing water changes and what salt are you using? you know you need to mix the water and salt for a while before adding. i let it mix over night in a container with a power head and heater.

i was told thats where i want the ph at and im using instant ocean salt i mix it in 5g bucket till it disolves this tank has been up in running for a month 2 weeks ago i started putting coral in yesterday is when everything went down hill i know ive lost one coral but i dont want to lose another one
some of there are not cheap. i did a water chang last night i added marine buffer after 1 spoonful per 4g added 7

Water temp is also WAY TOO LOW. It should be 78-80.
What is your salinity?

EDIT: I merged all your threads together. Please don't start new threads for the same issue.

Last edited:
i would mix the water over night with a power head and a heater. secondly, the PH advice you were given is incorrect.
thirdly, did you cycle this tank? you mentioned it being up for a month and adding corals after 2 weeks. a normal cycle lasts longer than 2 weeks.
how did you cycle this tank?

Sean - out of curiosity, where are you getting the advice you're being given? It seems that whoever is guiding you isn't really doing you any favors.

I saw a couple of your other posts where you also mentioned things like not knowing what cycling a tank is - these are basic fundamentals you should have at least a cursory understanding of before setting up a tank, and LONG before adding corals or fish. If I'm remembering right between all your threads, you've now lost a few fish and a couple of corals. Logic would dictate that you come to a full and complete stop, and find a better source of advice (here may be a good place to go - LOTS of experienced folks here who've helped me along myself).

So, putting aside what you have going on in the tank right now, lets start from square one and see how far we can get.

How large is your tank?
Do you have liverock in it? If so, how much? (photos help)
After putting in the rock (assuming you have some) what next? Did you wait awhile or just start popping fish in?
Are you using a protein skimmer?
Where are you getting your water? Is it RO/DI, or are you just using tap?
How much water are you changing out and how often?
Are you adding supplements? I'm assuming so, since your PH is so incredibly high...

While it's by no means a bible of any sort, and many here (myself included) may argue with much of what's said in it, you might want to pick up something like the following as a good starting point. If nothing else it will give you some basic terminology and processes that you'll need both while setting up and then while maintaining your tank. Its a fun and exciting hobby but it requires a lot of knowledge and a good deal of effort.
Amazon.com: The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide (0097818900875): Michael S. Paletta, Edward Kadunc, Scott W. Michael, John Goodman: Books

Back
Top Bottom