Sick Clown...New Tank Syndrome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank water parameters tested well when i brought it to my LFS. I got a Snowflake eel in there for a week (May 18) then I bought 2 percula clowns and a Tang(May 22). That same day, I returned the eel back to my LFS because they wouldn't let me take home cleaner shrimps and snails as they would be dinner for the eel. I decided I'd better have cleaner shrimps than the eel as they would help keep the tank clean. SO, May 22, I have two healthy clowns and a Tang and two candy striped cleaner shrimps and they all seem to be doing well...until.... May 26, I noticed one of my clown slime coated... passed away May 27 (yesterday) and then I noticed the other clown slime coated also (looking bad this morning)... I've tested the water three times since the LFS testing and all parameters show great water quality. Temperature is between 78-81F... What could I have done wrong? I realize I shouldve set up a QT for new fish, but these were my first fish.... Does anyone think I have the NTS? Tank was initially set up on May 5.[/code]

It sounds like Brooklynella. You need to move fast and remove all the fish to a qt tank and begin SW formalin baths, or treat the qt tank with formalin.
There is an article Steve-s gave a link to in this tread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=24990&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10
The main will need to be left void of fish for 4 weeks (6 would be better) to rid your main of the parasites.
Inverts can/should stay in the main for this period.

Back
Top Bottom