sick clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
My male clownfish has been behaving weird for the last couple of weeks. All he mostly does is lay in a corner of my tank on his side at times. My friend suggested he needs a host. I cannot get a host yet because my tank isn't ready for one as of yet. My nitrates never to go below 30ppm's. Can someone please advise?

Thank you for your assistance

Hi, just wait it out. My Maroon Clown did the exact same thing in my new 220' but once my tank got stable I brought home a BTA, within 2 minutes he was trying to open up the anemone. He or she is now a very happy fish, just watching the clown I could see the behavior change. I hope this helps

Neil

You don't need a host for it, they will pick a spot wether its a rock or powerhead or corner of a tank and host that. Just sounds like its stressed to me.

Well not sure what your water parameters are but chances are that's a good place to start. When it comes to keeping any sort of aquarium there is one rule of thumb that is never a bad thing and that is "water change". If anything looks amiss in your tank- water change, if a fish is acting odd- water change, if your bored- you guessed it, water change. If that doesn't help then it's time to look deeper. Do you have a test kit?

Yes I have an API MARINE TEST KIT. I use it frequently. I'm not a moron. I'm stuck because since I've started the tank my nitrates have been between 30-40ppm's. I've had my clowns since then. I would say my FOWLR has been cycled for 110 days or so. All I get are different possibilities but no straight answer. When I get a cold, I drink lots of liquids and get lots of rest. Why isn't there a formula like that to go by for marine life? I love my fish and i'm just frustrated.

Yeah, he's not hosting the corner, there's something wrong.

Is there flow in the tank? What is the temperature and salinity at?

When you do a water change, let the salt mix for a bit first and make sure the temperature and the salinity match.

What about water flow inside the tank?

81 is a bit high, though that's not likely to cause the problem. However, it could be adding to any stressors present. How are you gauging the temperature? Glass thermometer, stick on, digital?

You could stick a small fan blowing across the surface of the water to bring the temp down.

Salinity is good. Are you topping off evaporated water to maintain that salinity?

scottayy said:
What about water flow inside the tank?

81 is a bit high, though that's not likely to cause the problem. However, it could be adding to any stressors present. How are you gauging the temperature? Glass thermometer, stick on, digital?

You could stick a small fan blowing across the surface of the water to bring the temp down.

Salinity is good. Are you topping off evaporated water to maintain that salinity?

.original.jpg

I have one circulation pump, glass thermometer and topping off with distilled water as it needs it.

Sorry, just trying to think of things to help your fish. :p A good way to maintain the same salinity without an auto topoff is to mark a line with tape or marker or something and always topoff to that line.

30-40 nitrates seems a little high but again probably isn't the problem. This is an acceptable level for fowlr.

If it were my tank I'd do a few back to back water changes. e.g. 1 week do a water change on monday and tuesday. Then do the same the next week.

I assume ammonia and nitrite are 0? (had to ask since it wasn't mentioned)

I'm in indiana too and the seasons are a beast to keep the temperature under control. Hot, warm, cold.. all in the same season! Sorry I couldn't help, but we got some good info to rule out. Maybe try the fan thing. And check the clownfish for white spots, wounds, or other irregularities.

I'll let someone else chime in with their ideas.

It would help improve gas exchange, letting co2 out and o2 in. I wouldn't think it would matter since it looks like you have a HOB filter splashing through to the water and agitating the surface.

It could not hurt, though. Worth a shot.

There is a different aproch i would take. Have you been feeding him anything different?
Not sure what your using but as a preventative measure I recomend feeding liquid garliq and vitomins in frozen food. This usually works to help prevent minor problems with the fish in the long run.
What type of filtration are you working with? I use a refugium on my 125 and my nitrate stays very, very low even without doing any water changes. Maybe you should look into that just to lower your nitrates a bit.
81 is only about 1 or 2 degrees higher than most people would prefer so that i dont think will cause a problem.
The other thing I can guess is has be been bullied at all? Sometimes that will make a fish act funny for a while.

AquaticFuture said:
There is a different aproch i would take. Have you been feeding him anything different?
Not sure what your using but as a preventative measure I recomend feeding liquid garliq and vitomins in frozen food. This usually works to help prevent minor problems with the fish in the long run.
What type of filtration are you working with? I use a refugium on my 125 and my nitrate stays very, very low even without doing any water changes. Maybe you should look into that just to lower your nitrates a bit.
81 is only about 1 or 2 degrees higher than most people would prefer so that i dont think will cause a problem.
The other thing I can guess is has be been bullied at all? Sometimes that will make a fish act funny for a while.

I feed them dried brine shrimp. I have 2 HOB filters that I try to remember to clean them 2-3 times per month. I'm planning on building a 10g refugium for my 55g FOWLR tank. He also has not been bullied. All my fish have mild mannered temperaments.

the Refugium will help a lot with your over all water qualty. i cant say for sure if thats what is affecting your clown but it could be a contributing factor. Also, try Frozen brine shrimp. its in little blocks that i normally thaw out in a cup of aquarium water and then poor it in the tank.. Most fish like the frozen stuff better plus in my opinion its better for them than any processed foods.

I hope this helps. good luck with your clown fish..

Back
Top Bottom