Sick Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapple01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a very sick clownfish. everthing seemed fine last night when we did a water change, but tonight he is whitish all over, and looks flaky. also, it seems like he is gasping for air and keeps sinking to the bottom of the tank, sometimes laying on the gravel. our other clownfish seems to be acting okay right now but it looks like i can seem some small white flaky spots appearing. other fish (royal gramma, cardinal fish, yellow tang, coral beauty and a wrase) seem okay so far. we also have a cleaner shirmp. the sick clownfish looks like he might not make it through the night, but we'd like to keep the other fish healthy (and save him if we can).
ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and salinity levels all seem fine.
we have not added any fish to the tank for many months, so it doesn't seem like it would be ich...

any ideas?

Attachments

• fish_008_112.jpg
    fish_008_112.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 126
It's ICH. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

My clowns were in the main tank for at least a month maybe more before finally succumbing to the disease.

Take him out asap. QT him, add garlic to your main tank food source.

Best of luck.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

That does look like ich to me. Do the spots drop off and come back?
As suggested, move them all to a QT and leave the main tank fallow for 8 weeks. Treat the QT with hyposalinity.
What exactly are your test results?
How is the little guy, now?

melosu58 said:
Kurt_Nelson said:
Almost sounds like Marine Velvet... or at least Clownfish disease.

I totally agree.
Could be, I was looking at the white salt like spots on the fish's face.

Could be both, I suppose. I agree (now that I enlarge the picture!) that the spots up on the head look like ich. But the white film on the rest of the fish sure sounds like velvet or clownfish disease (Brooklynellosis). Also, sounds like the fish went downhill really fast which also sounds like velvet.

lapple01 - hope all works out. You might start thinking about a quarantine tank in case the others start showing problems. At least you'll be able to get it going quick if you plan now for it.

Kurt_Nelson said:
Could be both, I suppose. I agree (now that I enlarge the picture!) that the spots up on the head look like ich. But the white film on the rest of the fish sure sounds like velvet or clownfish disease (Brooklynellosis). Also, sounds like the fish went downhill really fast which also sounds like velvet.

lapple01 - hope all works out. You might start thinking about a quarantine tank in case the others start showing problems. At least you'll be able to get it going quick if you plan now for it.
I agree, QT is going to be very important, at this point.

Back
Top Bottom