Sick Clownfish... Need Help Immediately...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulsilver1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last Saturday one my local fish stores had a sale for their two year anniversary and had 30% off of fish. So I picked up a BW Ocellaris and a Black Photon. The Photon died Monday overnight and the BW died overnight Thursday. I had a Pink Spotted Goby and a normal Ocellaris in the tank before I got these two for 1 month and everything was normal between the two.

Now, all water parameters checked out fine, 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, and 20ppm Nitrate. The Black Photon started out staying in the bottom corner at the back of the and was breathing franticly and wouldn't eat. It wasn't long before he was starting to tip on his side. He died and I didn't notice any signs of disease when examining his body. And then 36 hours later the other two clowns started showing the same signs the black photon did.

It started out with heavy breathing and staying in the bottom corners of the tank and wouldn't eat. A few times over the course of Wednesday and Thursday their bodies would be horizontal for a half a second. They still weren't showing any signs of any diseases other than what was listed. The BW Ocellaris died Thursday night and I put the other ocellaris in a QT Bucket with 2 drops of Formalin per gallon and he was in a 5 gallon bucket. He seemed to do fine the entire time in the bucket (Wasn't swimming horizontally but seemed to do noticeably better than in the DT).

So while he was in their I got two QT tanks set up and moved the Goby to one and then this morning moved the clown to the other. I was thinking that clown and now the Goby have Brooklynellosis. So I set up a formalin bath for the Clownfish and he is currently in there now.

Does it seem like that's what disease they have? I have kanaplex and successfully treated the goby when I first got him a while ago (Had fin rot his tail was completely gone and now its almost grown entirely back).

I wouldn't normally treat my fish unless I knew for sure what they had. But, I was 99.999% sure my last clown was out the door and figured it was worth a shot. I'll post updates if I can.

Thanks for any advice.

It sounds like to me oxygen levels are too low try increasing the O2 levels in your tank. If that's not it than it could be a toxin that leaked into your tank. It could be as simple as bad dust particles or lotion or spray.

It sounds like to me oxygen levels are too low try increasing the O2 levels in your tank. If that's not it than it could be a toxin that leaked into your tank. It could be as simple as bad dust particles or lotion or spray.

True it could've been that. But the last clown ended up dying as it wouldn't eat. I moved it and my goby to a quarantine tank and observed them for a few days until the clown died and the goby is still doing fine to this day.

I put oxygen stones in the display tank and that didn't have any affect (They seemed better at first but after 36 hours with the stone in the tank they started showing the same symptoms) and I have a lid on top of the tank. Could that have a great affect on oxygen levels?

There are quite a few snails in there as well. I'm not sure if they brought something with them when I put them in the display tank or not?

At any rate the tank will have no fish in it until the end of November when I can make sure whatever was infecting the fish is no longer in the water.

Is that the route I should tank?

Also the fish store I got the fish from ended up letting me exchange the dead fish for a new one (haven't picked it up yet). I got some seachem medicine while I was there, paraguard and cupramine I believe. Which one should I treat the clown with first when I put him in the qt?

First of all make sure all the meds you purchase do not contain copper of any sort. That's a mistake I made that you don't want to make:banghead:Not only is it bad for fish, but it can kill inverts in your aquarium. Even if it's in a qt it can still carry over when you put them back. Why do some company's make fish supplements with copper? I have no clue. Anyways,no the lid won't affect O2 levels unless it's sealed shut with no air holes. I don't think the snails would bring anything in that would affect a fish, especially if you got it from a fish store with perfectly healthy fish in the tank with the snails you bought. But it's a possibility. How long did you notice symptoms after you put the snails in? And no fish until nov. Is a great idea and can be reassuring. I don't think they would need to be in the qt for that long. Maybe the end of October. You can dose with any supplement you choose, but dose accordingly and slowly. Too much at once can just make it worse. I'd try seachum first,good luck.(y) and sorry for the huge message:D:lol:

Back
Top Bottom