Sick Colt Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poisson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In 12 hours, my Colt coral went from normal to sick - looked a bit wilted last night and was completely shrivelled this morning. Water is pristine and I can't figure out why it looks sick. I've had it for a year, it's well-established, and hosts my oscellaris clown. Until yesterday, it has been strong and growing to the point that I was going to take some cuttings this weekend.

Close inspection reveals the body is bubbly in texture, but there is not injury...just looks awful. Help!

Unless it's the positioning of the heater (looks new), It's most likely just been irritated a bit by something. Colt's will do that from time to time but with this species, they will usually rebounb fairly quickly. They do not typically "slough" as most would though if this is the species I think it is (Alcyonium Linnaeus).

Cheers
Steve

Check your Calcium and other water checks. Just because the water looks Pristine and clear does not mean it is. Make sure your light spectrum is OK and has not fallen off. I tried to send a picture of mine and could not figure out how. Good Luck

It's been about 2 weeks and the colt coral still looks miserable. Everything else in the tank is fine...I'm certain the colt coral isn't dead (not decaying or detaching) and it is still hosting my oscellaris, but I'm at a loss for what to do. Water chemistry is stable and where it is supposed to be. Suggestions anyone?

It probabley doesn't like the clowns hosting in it. This type of colt is actually quite sensitive to being touched as a rule. It most likely won't kill it but it will not fully extend as long as they are cozying up to it.

Might try introducing some other types of soft corals not so sensitive and see if they take to that.

Cheers
Steve

I thought the clown would be a problem, but she's been hosting in the coral for about 8 months, spending most of the day in it. The coral was always fully extended while my clown was in it, never seemed to mind. Until 2 weeks ago, I was worried that the coral was out-growing the tank! I'm so bummed...the coral is still reactive => closes up at night etc.

Not sure what to tell you. As I said it does not look "ill" per say, just irritated.

Nothing added/changed, different salt, new chems, heater, lighting, animal additions?

Cheers
Steve

I have a tomato clown that lives in my colt coral. At first the colt was sensitive also but he must have got used to it because they are best of buds now. See what happens for a while.

It's been 2 months and the colt coral is still hanging on. This weekend, I propagated by cutting 2 buds and they seem to be doing well...If it's the clown that's irritating it, maybe the propagated buds will thrive...

Back
Top Bottom