Sick Green and Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our Green Finger leather coral we bought a couple weeks ago and it's been drooping more and more each day, I've done as much reading as I can find on the net, my other leather went through a period but is back to being it's beautiful self, wish I could say the same for the Green finger though, any suggestions? Should it be in a stronger area of flow?

As far as the sponge I think I know whats wrong, the guy when we bought him took him out of the water, plus he was in two areas that weren't strong current, but I was wondering if anyone knows if I can prune off the bad trunk of it would the other parts that are still looking ok live?

Below are 2 pics of the Green Finger and the other of the orange tree sponge.

Thanks in advance :cry:

It may be time to move the leather. Try lower in the tank with plenty of flow. I't possible that your lighting is more intense than the lighting it is used to, and therefore it is photoshocked. However...it is quite common for leathers to go a week or two without opening after introduction to a new environment.

All the transparent/white areas of the sponge shoulf be cut away and disposed of, it is dead tissue. It is likely the removal from the water is what did the damage, hopefully you will get a portion that will survive.

Thank you, will move the leather to the bottom where there is a lot of flow, as for the sponge, I've never done anything like this before, suggestions on what to use to cut it with, I don't want to damage it any more than it already is.

Thanks!

IMO, the best tool to use for soft coral/sponge propogation is a scalpel or a xacto knife. But a sharp pair of scissors will do as well. Make sure not to remove the sponge from the water while your doing it. If it makes you feel any better...if you don't it is sure to die, if you do....it has a chance to live.

Thanks, don't have a scalpel or an xacto knife but I can get one, I want to save it anyway I can, Thanks! :p

Back
Top Bottom