Sick Hammer and Torch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been having these two corals for over a year now and have been seeing them recede for the last couple of weeks. I have been battling hair algae and bryopsis for a year now which is most likely a cause to their constant state of stress. What do you guys think is up with my corals?

Brown Jelly Disease? Should I frag the hammer to avoid further contamination of the rest of the heads and if so how should I go about treating the torch, since its a wall torch. I do not have a quarantine tank set up so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 94
I know, I have been working hard at it. I just ordered some Dr. Tim's Waste Away to strengthen my bacteria colony in my system.

So what should I do? Do I have Brown Jelly?

I would cut way back on feeding and up water changes for a while. I'd skip the snake oil. You can frag off the dead heads if you like, but it's not the hair algae that's effecting the corals, it's the water quality that the hair algae is feeding on.

Yeah I haven't been feeding my fish but twice to three times a week. I just bought a new RODI system and I have been doing weekly water changes religiously for the past 2 months.

Why do you say to skip the snake oil? Are you referring to the bacteria supplement?

Is it Brown Jelly though that caused that head to recede so much?

I would cut way back on feeding and up water changes for a while. I'd skip the snake oil. You can frag off the dead heads if you like, but it's not the hair algae that's effecting the corals, it's the water quality that the hair algae is feeding on.

It doesn't appear to be. BJD is very noticeable. Correcting your water may take months.
Yes, the average reef tank doesn't need more bacteria- it's got the exact amount of bacteria it needs. I don't believe in a "just add this and your woes are over" type product.

I Lost many a hammer/torch ( Once upon a time) as they were receding like yours ,
The first thing I did was checked all my parameters
I found that I had high nitrates and phosphates
the #1 rule is to keep up on the parameters as most corals are sensitive to them
How I corrected everything was with several large water changes , after loosing so much money with corals dieing ,
I learned I need to pay better attention to my tanks , now I have a tank that I could have displayed ,
The faster you can correct this could save the remainder of your corals

Back
Top Bottom