Sick or dying coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b.jent10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a candy cane coral in my 29g set up. The first few days it seemed to be doing great. Sweeper tentacles came out every night like clockwork, color was good, etc. However, it seems to me like it has died or is in the process of dying. It looks as if the "skin" of the coral is starting to decay and peel off at the base (see picture below) and the sweepers don't come out anymore. I was getting some info on them and it appears they like a low lighting setting. I have a t5 ho fixture with a 10k and 420 actinic bulbs in it. Am I over reacting or right on the money? Should I remove the coral or just let it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image-947792325.jpg

It could be the flow too. How long has your tank been cycled and your parameters will help as well. Sometimes even the SG being off will make a coral pissed off.

If you are seeing pure white skeleton at any time, the coral is not doing well. The tentacles that come out at night on this particular coral are for catching food, not defending itself. As Joy pointed out, there are more variables than just light. Have you been adding any supplements to the tank? What are your current parameters?

Everything is right where it should be as far as parameters go. And I knew that the tentacles are for feeding, I was just saying that they have come out less and less frequently. As far as supplements go, I haven't been. However I started adding kent nano reef to it today. Someone mentioned it could be a bacterial infection, but I have a branching hammer, a colony of zoas, and a ricordea that are all doing fine. Idk what to do honestly.

Back
Top Bottom