Sick puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
Our 5" speckled green puffer has white stuff on the ends of his right pectoral fin, the fin is eroded, and he's been not fanning it (usually his pec fins are fanning nonstop). It looks like there's a bit of white stuff at his right gill outlet too.

Appreciate any advice on how to get him well, and whether it would affect our 3 other fish (who look fine now).

Remember that our new flame angel died ~ 2 weeks ago; I think he brought something bad into the tank. But his symptoms were different.

36-gal FOWLR, 2-3" CC substrate, NH3/NO2/PH OK, salinity ~ 1.023.

Bob Peitzke

I think it's kind of sad that your last thread got seriously side-tracked. But maybe it didn't matter once the angel had died (sorry).

I'm new at this, but I do LOTS of serious reading. I have a feeling your 36 gal. tank is badly overstocked with too large fish. Did you ever test for nitrate? That's crucial. Ammonia and nitrite can be at zero, and if you have high nitrates, it's a polluted environment for your fish. I've heard this compared to breathing polluted air. You can breathe it, but your lungs start hurting!
I know I have zero ammonia and nitrite, but I can't seem to get the nitrate below ten no matter what!!

Sorry no advice on getting everyone well right now, but do check ALL your tank parameters!!

Re: sick puffer

>>I have a feeling your 36 gal. tank is badly overstocked with too large fish.<<

So do I - I've felt that for a long time, but I can't convince my wife & daughter. The LFS guy told them we could have more fish. They don't realize that many people on these forums have a lot more experience than most LFS people. We got the puffer before we knew his requirements, but now we love him. He limits our options and stresses the tank, but what can you do? Kinda like raising a teenager.

>>Did you ever test for nitrate?<<

No I haven't gotten the kit yet. I've been working mega hours in a hi-pressure job; not much time for personal stuff. I'll try to order it tonight.

Unless someone else has any ideas, water change is only thing I can think of - should help with any nitrates. I'll do that tonight if I don't get home too late.

Thanks for your note.

regards,

- Bob

>>I have a feeling your 36 gal. tank is badly overstocked with too large fish.<<

So do I - I've felt that for a long time, but I can't convince my wife & daughter. The LFS guy told them we could have more fish. They don't realize that many people on these forums have a lot more experience than most LFS people. We got the puffer before we knew his requirements, but now we love him. He limits our options and stresses the tank, but what can you do?

I hate to sound derogatory or anything, but do your wife and daughter have any consideration for the animals involved here? Now, maybe you (all of you) know that your LFS was incorrect in his advice, and maybe he needs to read some of this forum, too!

You say you love your puffer. If you love your puffer more than you love watching him (now sickly) in your aquarium, you should find him a better home!!!!!

I realize your last thread was unfortunately sidetracked but hopefully this one will not suffer the same fate.

The main consideration once these problems are in the tank is getting the living conditions cleaned up. Stocking levels, water quality, proper husbandry and so on. You can easily treat the problem but as long as the conditions favor it's reproduction and the fish immune system is being taxed, it will not abate. This is a very important part other than the treatment itself.

You really need to get that nitrate test kit. I will tell you much.

As far as treatment....
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/formalinbaths.html

Cheers
Steve

bpeitzke said:
Our 5" speckled green puffer has white stuff on the ends of his right pectoral fin, the fin is eroded, and he's been not fanning it (usually his pec fins are fanning nonstop). It looks like there's a bit of white stuff at his right gill outlet too.

Appreciate any advice on how to get him well, and whether it would affect our 3 other fish (who look fine now).

Remember that our new flame angel died ~ 2 weeks ago; I think he brought something bad into the tank. But his symptoms were different.

36-gal FOWLR, 2-3" CC substrate, NH3/NO2/PH OK, salinity ~ 1.023.

Bob Peitzke

Sounds like possible gill flukes to me. Not sure if the fin was eroded before the white stuff (most are due to bite marks). If it was not, could be fin and tail rot. Both are serious symptoms. Has your puffer been acting different, i.e. lethargic, curled up sitting on the bottom, not eating well?

Either way clapmed gills are not good. Like everyone else said, check your parameters. Make sure your water quality is good, and if not perform partial WC.

I've had puffers die from internal parasites with the same symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom