Sick Puffer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
My new blue spot puffer has been in qt for 7 days so far. Today I see white blotches on his fins, he is also flashing sometimes. It dose not look like ich to me, is it a bacterial infection? I would like to treat it before its too late but I need to know what i'm treating him for. Thanks....

I can't see the blotches.
What are your water parameters?
Is he eating?

I know this is a blurry picture but you can see the area I am talking about in the circles. He is eating fine, just flashing every now and then. Also it is on all of his fins and not his body. I am treating him with melafix while in Qt (Seems to be helping but its only the 3rd day). My readings are as follows, temp 78, PH 8.1, Sg 1.024, Nh3 0, No2 0, No3 10, Dkh 7

Lou

How did you acclimate him to your QT? (that looks like it may be a pH issue, either from not acclimating and there is a big difference between your tank and the LFS))
Are his fins fraying at all?
Other than that, I'll have to let the experts take a stab at it.

Do look very carefully for any signs of Ich on the body. If the body is indeed clear then Lymphocystis might be the culprit. Any rapid breathing or other white, cotton-like masses around the gills? No offense, but how can you treat for a disease if you do not know what you are treating? If Lymphocystis, proper nutrition and water quality should clear it up on its own.

I agree that we need to find the problem first because all problems are treated different. If your puffer has ick then what you are treating for will not work. I have seen ick on fins and it looked splotchy on the fins.

We drip acclimated him for about 1.5-2hrs. None of his fins are frayed. There is no signs of ich that I or my wife can see on his body, also no rapid breathing or white cotton like masses around his gills. No offense taken but I did not know what to do and figured the melafix was my safest choice as a preventative measure. I'v had ick before on other fish and this (to me) dose not look anything like it, I would not treat for ick unless I was sure. The water was a little cloudy after about 2 days in qt, my wife was feeding him chopped up uncooked shrimp. A did a water change and it cleared up the next day. The qt has been set up for a couple of months since we are trying to stock my tanks at home and work. He has a tankmate (with a divider between them) a valentini puffer and he is fine, nothing on him or his fins. :?

Thanks Lou

Mel lots of info on puffers thanks for the link 8) . Its for fresh and saltwater puffers so you have to be carful what your reading, lots of reading in my future :)

Lymphocystis is viral and usually shows up on the fins and gill area; however, causes for this are unanswered. Your safest bet would be a hyposalinity treatment in case of Ich, but overall nutrition and good water quality is your only help if Lympho.

Start soaking thier food in garlic extreme, selcon and zoe.

Back
Top Bottom