Sick Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truupe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just noticed that my Tang's left eye is extremely cloudy but he is swimming around and appear to be happy, he even has eaten well ( seaweed and frozen brime shrimp). Any ideas?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
Alk: 180
PH:8.0
SG: 1.021
Temp: 74 Degrees

1 Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
3 Turbo Snails
2 Hermit Crabs
1 Xenia
several Mushrooms

55gal FOWLR Bak-Pak w/built in Skimmer, RENA FILSTAR XP3 CANISTER FILTER Coralife 2X65 Coralife Aqualight (130 Watt) 1X15 Coralife Bluelight 30 LBS of LR

It will probably clear up on its own. Maby soak some of its seaweed in some liquid vitamins.

You actually have a few issues you need to address. Often enough increased vitamin fortified feedings will help but you also need to reduce the organics in the water as well. Start doing a few larger water changes with well aged SW. Be sure to match temp, salinity, ph and alk of the main tank. That should do the trick in short order.

I would also suggest you stop feeding the brine unless it's fortified. Even then I would suggest mysis over brine. If meaty foods are needed with a herbavor in the tank, always soak the foods in a good marine vitamin prior to feeding.

Other issues are the temp and salinity. Far too low for a marine tank. The salinity should be 1.024-25 depending on what you use to measure it and the temp should be much closer to 80°. The lower levels will also contribute to poor health with your inverts in time. Do not drastically change anything. The salinity can be increased by 0.001/day and the temp by ½-1°/day. Keep tabs on the eye problem as you do this.

What time of day was the ph tested?

Cheers
Steve

PH was tested in the evening. I tested it again last night and it is now 8.2.

I will also raise the SG slowly. So is it maybe a diet issue as to why his eye is cloudy?

Steve said
Other issues are the temp and salinity. Far too low for a marine tank. The salinity should be 1.024-25 depending on what you use to measure it and the temp should be much closer to 80°. The lower levels will also contribute to poor health with your inverts in time. Do not drastically change anything. The salinity can be increased by 0.001/day and the temp by ½-1°/day. Keep tabs on the eye problem as you do this.

I agree with Steve. The temp is way too low. Oh and the tang is going to need a bigger tank. After you change these to the proper levels and the problem still persists, post again.

Truupe said:
So is it maybe a diet issue as to why his eye is cloudy?
That usually combined with higher organics in the water will usually be the cause unless the fish has been fighting. If this was not brought on by aggressive behavour, it will be bacterial related most times. A few large water changes will well aged SW as listed earlier will also be a must. You need to dilute what is feeding the bacteria so the natural immune system of the fish will be able to help itself.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom