Sick tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. Type & how long you have had it: 90 gallon SW tank, established almost 3 years, hippo tang is 18-24 months old.
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 2- t5 high output lights and 2- actinic lights. Actinic lights run 2:30 to 10 and HO lights run 3 to 9:30. Bulbs are replaced every Christmas.
3. Nitrate: 0
4. Calcium: 490
5. Phosphate: 10
6. Alkalinity: 9 dkH
7. pH: 8.3
8. Salinity: 1.025
9. Temperature: 80
10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid test lits
11. Location in tank: not sure what this is referring to
12. Current amount of flow: ~3600 gph
13. Current tank dosing regimen: test water twice a week, dose accordingly
14. Nearby coral: green mushroom, purple zoa button polyps
15. Explanation of problem: my tang is deteriorating. It started during a bad tank issue. We had a dead coral that started a cyano outbreak. By the time we got the outbreak fixed (about 5-6 months), she was starting to show signs of what I was told might be head and lateral line erosion. We changed her diet and started alternating 4 different types of seaweed in her clip. No other fish in the tank have had any issues. Now it is starting to look really bad. Is there anything I can do for this?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400531472827.jpg
    1400531472827.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 95
Oops. Those were questions for sick coral. Let's try this again.

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised? I've had the fish about 18 months. She was tank raised.
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression? Fish has been in the tank ~18 months. There are 2 clowns and 2 chromis, a yellow tang, and a hawkfish. No aggression towards anything.
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat? She eats 4 different types of seaweed from local fish store. also enjoys krill and shrimp when its fed.
4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using? PH=8.3, ammonuon=0, nitrite= 20, nitrate=0, spg=1.025.
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc? Fish is deteriorating on fins and belly line. The top of her back is almost see through. She is also starting to lose skin.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? She does not rub or scratch on any rocks.
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank? She swims and acts normally.
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? No quarantine.
9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. Fish was drip acclimated over period of 3 hours. Lights on tank were off for about 5 hours after she was put in before they came on at their normal time.
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand? 90 gallon tank, live sand, 2 biowheel 280 filters and a 110 gallon protein skimmer.
11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank? No meds have been added. Just normal dosing additives, calcium and buffer.

If you want to give it any chance of survival find it a new home in a much larger tank. See if your lfs will take it. It probably won't get better but at least you can possibly stop the regression.

Back
Top Bottom