sick tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Very sick blue tang. Lying on side for a day now breathing but obviously dying. Is there a humane way to help her from suffering?

What treatments have you tried?

What are your water parameters?

The most humane thing to do first is to try and help it recover. You should start setting up a QT ASAP and get him in there so you can try some treatments.

LFS said internal parasites. Up until yesterday eating well but losing weight. Water is good 0 nitrates, 0 phosphates, 0 am. kh 160, ca 380. No treatments, fish is lying back corner behind rock, hard to even see.

Do you have a cycled QT? What is the pH of the current tank?

The weight loss would most likely be caused by a worm or other internal parasite.

How long has this been progressing? Has the fish stopped eating completely?

Cheers
Steve

When I first got my blue tang (6"), she would hide and "play dead" like that, too. I have a 135 gallon with just a little live rock (more curing right now) and a white artificial coral tree looking thing.

At any rate, she'd hide & pant and looked like she would float all the way to the top of the tank if she didn't park herself under one of the rock platforms. I fed her a peeled frozen (thawed) pea soaked in garlic. At first she wouldn't eat anything; much less a pea. Once I soaked it in Garlic X-treme, it took her a bit, but she gobbled it down. Now she is happy and healthy as can be. Strangely enough though, she sleeps in the coral "tree"... I named her Birdie. :) I hope yours pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom