Sick Tomato Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I just got a mated pair of tank bred tomato clowns from another persons tank who is moving.. they had them for over 3 years.. now when we were trying to catch them they were getting pretty stressed out..

So when i got home i put them in my qt.. its a 40gal with a naso tang and maculosus..

I dont think there was enough room for the clowns as the maculosus was charging them..

WHITE SPOT ARRGHHH

So i've had to set up another QT..

Its about 15gal or so.. has pvc pipe a small rock to keep in submersed.. hang on filter with no media.. and a small heater.. I took water straight from my main 75gal.. set up for 18 months..that water is 100% fine.. i shouldnt see any cycling should i?

I've added some cupramine..

Ive never had to QT for white spot because the fish i've had are pretty hardy and have never got it..

How long should i QT for..? until its gone or longer..?

Should feeding change?

I dont wanna lose them because theyre really great, got a great price and i havent lost a fish in a long long time..!

Plz help, advice welcome!!

matt,

i would give the cupramine 7 days to take effect, and also raise your tempature in the qt tank to about 84 degrees or so. That should speed the life cycle of the parasite up to where it detaches from your fish sooner.

If after 7 days the cupramine and high heat has not eradicated the ich I would use hyposalinity. If it comes to the point re-post about this issue and Ill get you all the resources online for hypo treatment.

Actually, I would not raise the temp at all. You are treating with a good med and the higher water temp will just raise the stress level on the already stressed fish.
Keep the cupriamine at treatment strength for 3 weeks and keep the fish in qt for an additional 2-3 weeks for observation after the treatment in over. One week is just not enough time to be sure.
Also watch the Mac and the Tang for symptoms since they were exposed and keep a close eye on the water quality as the copper will kill off much of your bacteria. Keep lots of change water ready and keep a close eye on ammonia and PH levels especially. Meds tend to also cause a drop in PH.

So think i have just treated them with cupramine for no reason.. I just added a naso and sailfin to my tank and they immediately got the same thing... The white spots are dangling around and falling off... I think it is the sand.. its very fine and when stirred up flies everywhere..?

Should i immediately stop cupramine, how should i approach this?

Back
Top Bottom