Sick Yellow Tang??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my Tang last sunday. He has been eating, but is very shy and will hide behind the rocks if anyone is in the room. So I think he is stressed. I just looked at him late last night and he had a red blotch on his side that can be seen from botch sides. It looks like he is bleeding.

The blotch was not there earlier in the day, and it just appeared.
I was reading and atricle and it said it may be stress induced?? Do anyone know what this is. My Levels are:

Tank Size: 90
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: <.1
SG: 1.030 (I was using a swingare hydrometer. I bought a refractometer and I am bringing down the SG slowly)
Temp: 79-81

I just checked my NH3 this morning before I left for work. I have an amonia spike .25. I added LR to the tank without curing it. (I know that's not a good idea) but I was listening to some of the other post so I did it against my better judgement. but I added the rock on tuesday and the water was fine until this morning. I also found out that I have a mantis shrimp. Do you think it is possible that it killed something like and snail or my brittle star?

The Tang is now turning red in his face and I think it is cause by the amonia spike. I did a 5% water change this morning and I will do another tonight when I get home. Is there anything else that I can do? Do you think that the NH3 will kill my Tang? My Toadstool leather is also looking kind of bad too.

Two main causes for red streaking in fish is either bacterial or from dramatic drops in pH. In either case, large daily water changes with well aged SW are the best "cure". If bacterial, it will dilute the DOC that feeds it and if chemical it should bring things back into balance. Be sure the tang is getting vitamin fortified foods as well.

If the parameters do not come back into line after a few days, I would remove the rock and cure it seperately. It will just prolong the problem with the tang until it becomes severe. The ammonia present in the water is most likely what's affecting the inverts. Most once acclimated to a stable environment cannot handle the shock. That coupled with the hypersalinity may have put them over the edge.

Next time trust your instincts. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info I hope all is ok with my tank. How long do you think I should wait. Do you think I should do the water change tonight then remove the rock tommorrow it the leves are still high?

I am learning a lot in this hobby and the biggest thing I learned is to trust my insticts but I never do.. :D I will start to though. Thanks again!

I would begin the water changes today if you have aged SW ready. If not wait until tomorrow, or at least 12 hrs. Newly mixed SW will have a higher pH and could easily make things worse for the tang and inverts. With the daily water changes you should be able to at least control the levels. In all honesty if you have the space to do it, my personal preference would be to remove the uncured rock and let the tank stabalize.

The tang and inverts would respond much faster and regain their health. If the ammonia continues you could have losses.

Cheers
Steve

We also found something strange with our yellow tang the other day. There were two very distinct white stripes down each side of him when we turned the lights out, they went away when the lights came back on..... very strange. There was also what appeared to be blackness (simlilar appearance to bruising) around the white stripes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

All tangs have the white strip, but the blackness sounds like the red spots that I have. Did you just get him? I had to QT mine, becuase after the Ammonia spike get got ICH from the stress.

sydcouple said:
There was also what appeared to be blackness (simlilar appearance to bruising) around the white stripes.
The white is as described by CBRguy but I think you'll find that the dark area you're describing is simple shadowing of either the swim bladder or gut behind the caudal bone.

Cheers
Steve

Mine gets the same thing every night after lights out. I was told (not sure by who) that it was there way to kinda camoflague sp? themselves. Cause who wants to be a bright yellow fish swimming at night in the ocean. Not sure if thats true or not but every morning when we turn the lights on she looks like that then after a few minutes shes beautiful again. Hope that helps you! Sue

Back
Top Bottom