sick yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

opie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a yellow tang that's sickly looking and his stomach looks sunk in. Feeding the fish brine shrimp and roman lettuce I had two yellow tangs die this way there is a purple tang that is 3 years old looks great I have no luck with yellow tangs the water is good do not know why I can not keep yellow tangs alive

I agree with Fluff that they need Nori of seaweed selects. I feed mine grape calerpa , an all natural live macro algea but is sometimes hard to get. I`ve heard stories of lettuce causing blockages in tangs.

His little belly means he's starving. Follow the above advice and he should fatten up. Mine eat a half-sheet of nori every day from a nori clip. They nip at it all day long.

Only use lettuce if you completely freeze it first. Under water, plantlife do not have cellular walls like they do above water (like lettuce). If you feed your tang lettuce, he does not have digestive enzymes like we do to break down those cellular walls. The lettuce will pass right through him and he won't get the benefit of the nutrients. Thus, you should freeze the lettuce to kill the rather thick cellular walls, and this should help.

**I am not positive about this, I read it somewhere online.**

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom