Skinny BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oafboy182

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can I make my BTA look good again? Last july I got my BTA and it looked great for several monthes (see pic 1). I had to move several monthes later and ever since it just hasn't been the same. For the first couple of monthes after the move I didn't think my BTA would make it. I then started feeding it by hand (never had to before clown took care of it) and it quickly got better but not like it was. I then had to move the tank again because of the massive amount of direct sunlight it got. Shortly after my BTA split (see pic 2). Both seem to be doing well. They eat well and my clown swims between the two of them. They seem to be ok but I would like them to look as before. I have 1 65w pc 50/50 bulb and feed them homemade food I get from a friend (only food I've ever used). I feed everyother day. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• mr._giggles_at_home.jpg
    mr._giggles_at_home.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 147
  • clown_and_anenome.jpg
    clown_and_anenome.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 432
It takes a lot of energy to split, so that's probably why it looked a bit diminished. It might take it a little time to get back to its full glory. Also, conditions might not be as favorable in its new home as it originally was a year ago. Just some thoughts, I'm not really sure.

I have the exact same story pretty much with my RTBA. It split about 2 weeks ago and the new smaller one looks wonderful, full buble tips but they are much shorter so seem to fill out more than the other half which has way longer tips but never bubbled either.

I'd love to make them look more "full" as well if anyone else has some ideas. I've had it (them now) for 5 months.

I have similar problem too. Ever since my BTA split, they have been very skinny and never recovered to its bubbly form. However, their size has trebled.

I had read that a skinny BTA was lighting related (not bright enough so it extends to soak up as much light as possible). Doesn't add up to why they would have gotten skinny after they split but seemed perfectly happy and bubbly before the split. I'm interested in seeing some more responses to this...

I also agreed that skinny BTA is probably related to lighting issue. My BTAs are always extending their arms fully towards the light. This didn't seems to be a problem before they split and when they were much smaller.

This probably isn't the case for all situations, but when was the last time you changed your bulbs? If they're too old, they will not give off the necessary spectrum anymore, even if they do light just fine.

I agreed, but I have changed my lights every 6 months and not notice any improvement with my BTAs.

my light was changed 6-7 monthes ago. Coming due for a new one, but even when the bulb was new BTA looked like this. I have just one 65w pc would 2 65w pcs help? MH out of the question right now.

Round up to 30, and (I know the watts/gal rule isn't a good one, but it's a starter) you have roughly 2 watts/gal. (2.16) I'd say another 65w PC wouldn't hurt you in the least. If you have the funds, I'd go for it.

Back
Top Bottom