Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly the best thing you can do is invest in a refractometer and calibrate it with RO /DI water every time you use it! The floating arm hydrometers always get salty deposits and calcium deposits in and around the moving parts which will prevent it from working properly. I find them so useless that I don't have one in my tank I jet regularly check with my refractometer. They are not expensive and deffinately an investment in the long run! I would bet your SG is different from 1.026 with a refractometer reading, hopefully this will prevent any further loss - sorry about the shrimp!:-/

Very good information. Everyone says to get one but this is the first explination of why that has made any sense to me. :) Thanks.

What if it was just a bad shrimp? You could get a refund if you're store has that. Here they ask for a water sample when you return a dead fish to prove it wasn't you're dirty water that killed it. You seem to have everything good, call and ask:)

I agree it could have been a sick shrimp or some other water condition could have contributed to the loss but the LFS is going to check the water before just supplying another shrimp in replacement. The responsible thing to do would be make sure that your water is 100% before adding more livestock. It sounds like this has at least been diligently attempted as far as 2 hydrometers are concerned but ad previously stated, your SG reading may have been inaccurate. We live and learn!!!

I went back to get a refund and they wouldn't give it to me... Said the shrimp are too sensitive and easily shocked.
I'll go and get the water checked.

Sapfire said:
I went back to get a refund and they wouldn't give it to me... Said the shrimp are too sensitive and easily shocked.
I'll go and get the water checked.

Wow, that sucks!!!!!! U did the best you could, and they are not THAT sensitive! Is there another LFS u can switch to?

I agree, they should have a refund policy on all livestock unless clearly stated prior to purchase. I once had a very similar experience with a shrimp. I would look for another LFS if you aren't happy but also ensure that your water is good before adding anything else! Sorry to hear about this bad experience!

Sorry about your shrimp. :-(

All the LFS's that I buy from have a no guarantee policy on sw fish and inverts, so I'm not surprised they didnt' refund you. Thats one of the benefits to getting fish online, they usually have a 14 day stay alive policy. :) But the shipping can be killer unless you get a few things....

I'm going to get my water checked out... Hopefully it's as good as my tests say it is.
What website do you buy fish off of? How many have died in the 14 days warranty period?

Sapfire said:
I'm going to get my water checked out... Hopefully it's as good as my tests say it is.
What website do you buy fish off of? How many have died in the 14 days warranty period?

I've personally bought fish off of saltwaterfish.com and they were all healthy. Liveaquaria.com is also another option. Both have a 2 week warranty.

Just got the refractometer and found out the salt level was too low... Now I know why the shrimp died :-/

I am pleased it was nothing more serious, still a shame though! All you must do now is ensure you have a stable and trusted source of test solution - RO / DI will be 0 and you can calibrate it every time you test. Refractometers are very sensitive to knocks and bumps so keep it calibrated. I'm glad you got to the bottom of your dilemma!

Thank you for suggesting a refractometer. And I do have an RO... All is well now.

Back
Top Bottom