sleeper goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added a sleeper gober to my 50g. He seemed to be great getting busy right away sand sifting. Yesterday and today he has gone into hiding and has not been sifting. He seems a bit listless. Other than that he appears fine (good color, etc.) He is by far the largest fish in the tank. Other inhabitants are a percual clown, skunk clown and a pj. There is an anenome, hammer coral, and other corals. All other fish seem to be fine. The tank is now well over a year old. Any thoughts??? He justs doesn't seem right. Thanks

BTW as of today tank params were all at 0 and pH was ~8.0, sg 1.024

What kind of sleeper goby is it, specifically?

I had a golden-head/blue stripped for a while in a 55gal tank. He sifted a lot, and ate frozen food but almost every day developed a sunken bully. Once he ate, it filled back out & he was fine.

It wasn't until we upgraded our tank to a 75gal that he could go every other day (or every two days) without feedings. He never once developed a sunken stomach in the 75gal. I know liveaquaria says they are okay in a 50 gal tank, but I definately wouldn't recommend it. My goby was much healthier and happier once he had more live sand.

Also, it was not uncommon for ours to hide at all. There were even times when the only sand he would sift was the sand to make a new hiding spot. If yours looks okay, I would say its normal. But, I will also mention, once we put him in a larger tank, he was out all the time.

That's just my personal experience, and I don't mean to lecture or anything, but I really did notice that much of a difference once our goby was in the larger tank. Unfortunately, though, our's perished due to an ick outbreak...

But I hope that helps, and I'm sure others will be over to offer some other advice.

He is a golden head/blue stripe. He does seem to have a bit of a sunken belly. Is there anything I should do to encourage him eating. Do most readily take frozen brine? Maybe I am freaking over nothing but.....

Mine took frozen brine (or frozen food in general) with no problem. Maybe try adding some garlic to yours if he isn't seeming interested.

I wouldn't stress about it. As long as you can get him to eat brine, you'll just need to feed every day. If he doesn't eat the brine, I would suggest taking him back because he will slowly starve. From my experience, it seemed like he depleted the sand bed awfully quick of the nutrients he needed there, and began to rely on the frozen food. And as long as he looks fine, the hiding isn't something I would be worried about.

How long exactly has he been in the tank, also?

He is a recent addition. He has been in a week on Saturday. Is it possible he depleted the sand bed that quickly. I have a 1.5 to 2.0 sand bed.

Just looked at him behind the rock. He was moving his gill covers way out. (not constant) He looks like he is chewing as well. Possible gasping?????
About the garlic thing, can I use the minced garlic in the frig????

I also wonder if the anenome might have stung him. They will die if stung from the anenome.

Although a possibility he seemed to know to avoid the anenome. Also the perc hosts in the anenome and is quite territorial about it. I am able to watch him behind the rock. Not sure what to do.

Did you QT him? I know because of his color it is going to be hard to see any kind of infection. If he is gasping it could definately be something more.

I like to soak my frozen food. I use a product called Kent Garlic Extreme.

Back
Top Bottom