Slow death of LPS corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Hank, but do you think it could just affect my LPS? Fish and SPS are just fine!?!
I've got 2 older power heads at the back of the tank, so those are the prime suspects, but I removed one this morn. and that wasn't it...
Gonna have to get into it deep tonight...

There is a chance at it. I'm no expert on electricity and how it murders in aquaria by any means. Though I could see how electricity would interact with the soft, water inflated tissue that makes up LPS and then SPS not even notice if it wasn't very strong.

Sniperhank said:
There is a chance at it. I'm no expert on electricity and how it murders in aquaria by any means. Though I could see how electricity would interact with the soft, water inflated tissue that makes up LPS and then SPS not even notice if it wasn't very strong.

Yup, just spoke to the owner of my favorite LFS, and he said it could very well effect just the LPS, being just a little of a charge...goin' on a mission tonight!!

Well, got it narrowed down to either one of my power heads, or my skimmer. Unfortunately had to turn all of it off for the night. Hoping this will help me turn the corner on the LPS. Luckily, just my return pumps give me about 1500gph. Just adjusted the direction of the flow, to try to cover as much of the tank as I could. More investigation tomorrow...

All I can seem to find locally, is Marineland activated carbon, think this would be good for now?? I want to get it it in as soon as possible, so can't order it, and wait a week. I'll get the ROX 0.8 on my next BRS order though.
Just an FYI on carbon.....
Boomer..Two Carbon Quesions - Reef Central Online Community
ROX is the purest along with thefilteguys(TFG), BRS Ligntie and TLF is next, Elos is also really good but they are NUTS what they want for it, ROX is cheaper.

CC (coconut carbon) GAC is very low in dust and hard compared to something like BD (Black Diamond), which makes BD a poorer choice of GAC over other GAC that have lower dust. The downside of CC GAC is that it is a poor choice for us, as the pores are way to small and almost all CC is very high in PO4. As one approaches the original material the Ash, contaminates and PO4 increase, except that which is acid washed. So, if we look at two bitum's, GAC like the TFG vs BD, the TFG is a much better choice in having less dust and contaminates. Then ask yourself the question " would any hospital use BD for dialysis" The answer would be a flat no way. BD has to much dust, is not acid washed, water rinsed or pH neural and has higher contaminants. TFG GAC is used in dialyzes, it is a medial grad GAC used for that very purpose. ROX, TFG, TLF and BRS Lignite area all acid washed. Acid washing, removes Ash and contaminates. BD is not acid washed. So, we are back to square one, choosing a lower grade Ca++ sup with more contaminates vs higher grade with less contaminates. Which one would Randy use? GAC is no different. We want a purer grade and at the same time these purer grades, that I listed above, are more adsorbent. As far as any potential dust goes, for ANY GAC, we can just use a post GAC micro filter. Then, how come is it that anybody that has used ROX or TFG will not go back to their old GAC choice. Reason, they almost could not believe the difference in water clarity and the price was worth it. If the theory holds water of, "just use more of it", then why don't companies that do water or liquid filtration just use "more of it". That way GAC companies could all just make one kind of GAC.

Last edited:
Thanks capt. Well, I'll just let the BD run its course, and replace with ROX, once I get a reactor going. Right now I'm running a Po4 pad, a unit of Chemipure, and the BD. should be able to get a reactor this next week. Had a few more hours at work than usual. Nextreef is in the city just north of me, and I still have to go through a retailer for any of their products...bummer.
On a different note, it appears that my stray voltage problem was either coming from one of my 6+ year old Maxi-jets, or the wavemaker. The wavemaker is positioned above the skimming side of my sump, which is open topped. Wondering if evaporation just finally killed it.
I pulled the wavemaker out and left the skimmer and circ. pump off overnight. Just getting home from work, still no current in the fuge. Put the skimmer back on, still nothing... Just put the 2 newer pumps back on and waiting to see if these too are OK.
This really sucks, but hopefully I'm figuring out the problem with my LPS!
Thanks for the help, Larry.

Back
Top Bottom