Small white spot on coral beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I see a small white spot on my coral beauty's fin is this ick?

It is tough to say with the limited explanation. Is he or any other fish a new addition to the tank? Is the fish scratching himself on the rocks? Do you notice the number of spots changing location and amount? Are any other fish showing similar symptoms?

Great questions pinkie.
Do they look like salt grains?
What are your water parameters?
How long have you noticed the spots?
Any chance you can get a pic?

I only noticed the spot tonight. No other fish has this problem. Testing now makes no sense since i already lowered my gravity to 1.015. He isn't scratching and is eating really well but this spot looks like a grain of sand and isn't moving. This fish had no problem aclimating and ate almost as soon as he was in. As a matter of fact he looks quite normal except for that grain like spot on his fin. My plan of action is I already perfromed a water change, I wont use lights, I will keep the temp at 84. If this is Ich and I caught it in time will the above methods work without meds?

Thanks roka!

I would keep a close eye on him pinda. In the next couple days keep a close eye on him. The spot may disappear, then you may see 10-15 new ones come up on him and the other fish. What else do you keep in the tank with him? He most likely won't start scratching and everything else until the ich starts getting worse which unfortunately doesn't take long. Good luck and keep us updated!

The other fish are 1 clarkii clown and 1 yellow tail damsel. The other tank mate is a peppermint shrimp. The last of the lot is the one with the spot which is the coral beauty.

How is he looking today?
I wouldn't suggest attempting hypo in your main display.
Are you using a refractometer?
Salinity should be 1.009. I would probably try to find a temporary home for your shrimp.
Also, soak your frozen in garlic gard for no more than 30 minutes, this should help to boost their immune systems.

Hi guys thanks for all your help. The coral beauty still seems normal apart from that spot on his fin. All the others seem normal too. A friend of mine told me it may be sand but I dont think so since it would have moved by now. I soaked the food in garlic last night and gave it to them this morning.

I had a clown that has sand or a bubble on him that hung around for a few days. The key is if it falls off and comes back with more.

roka64 said:
I had a clown that has sand or a bubble on him that hung around for a few days. The key is if it falls off and comes back with more.
What should I do from here, I would hate to medicate the tank just for a bubble, should I wait till it drops off and comes back? At one point I was going to cacth him but I dont want to stress him anymore. Should the coral beauty be flahsing against rocks right now? My thing is that he seems normal except for that stuff on his top fin.

Unfortunately, without a pic, we are really making vague guesses. Now it sounds like it could be ich, air bubble, sand or cryptocaryon irritans (if it is a single spot).
If it is sand or a bubble, there is no reason to treat.

Has anyone tried the chem marin pepper based medications? He now has the same spot on his gills so i will definetly have to medicate the tank. I am thinking of using RXP Kent.

I haven't used it but I have used a variety of other treatments. I have used a couple of treatments that are advertised as "100% organic, won't harm inverts" like Ich-Attack.
In my opinion, it, and the others similar to it, were an absolute waste of money. They didn't do a single thing to help get rid of ich. But I haven't tried RxP Marine.

I have also tried a couple malachite green treatments which were effective, if they didn't kill your fish in the process. I don't recommend them as they are VERY hard on the fish, and of course stain parts of your tank.

What I have personally had a lot of luck with is Coppersafe.
But, do NOT use it in your main tank if you ever plan on having inverts. You should only use it in a quarantine tank. When I had a relatively bad case of Ich in my tank this stuff cleared it up 100% in about 3 days without a single loss. I love the stuff, but use it with caution.

Back
Top Bottom