Snowflake Moray - Flesh-wasting illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MorayMaddness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey hey,

I'm in a pickle with our snowflake morays and need sage advice. I have a couple eel species, but only the snowflakes seem to come down with this bizarre flesh-eating-disease. Each eel is housed separately and the water quality is fine. We have seawater pumped into our facility and we suspect something might be getting in that way - but the other species of eel are all a-ok.

The current issue is with an eel who had this illness, but seemed to be making a remarkable recovery...and then last week the sores are reopening. Back in October this eel lost a lot of tissue around his head and neck area and we treated it as a bacterial infection with several types of medications. Nothing seemed to work but one day he just...got better. The skin mostly had healed and he was very active.

But now it's back and I don't know what to do! He's such a fighter and I want him to get better. He's still eating like a champ and very alert...but the sore is rapidly expanding. Anyone else ever have this? Help! He's a such a good soul and I want him to be happy! I'm guessing it's not bacterial at this point because we lost a different eel with similar symptoms just last month and had again treated it with antibiotics followed by melafix. Please help!

I've had the same issue with eels that I've tried to raise in the saltwater. It's just one of those things that if you don't have a large water system that they just can't make it. Keep us informed so that maybe you could help us do a better job.

Back
Top Bottom