Sohal surgeon scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maurice2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I acquired a Sohal Tang 2 weeks ago, he's about 10cm. He's sharing the QT with a Bangaii cardinal, who's been there 3 weeks. The ST has been eating well and looks fine. Water parameters are all OK (zero) 26°, 1.021.

Today I notice the ST a little agitated, scratching his mouth/gills and dorsal fin on the rock, every few minutes. There's no visible sign of ich.

I'm a little wary of hypo, never done it, and I'm tempted to treat with copper preventively. Good or bad idea?

Any advice would be most welcome, TIA

Can you get a pic? Have you noticed any salt like spots on him that fell off? You have LR in a QT? I would take that out and use PVC for hiding.

sohal.jpg

As you can see, no visible signs of ich or anything.
The rockscape in the tank is all 'dead' rock just for hiding.

Anyone for/against copper or wait a while to see if the scratching is just momentary?

Beautiful fish and great pic!
I don't see anything on hime either. I would keep an eye on him to see if the spots show up.
I would remove anything but PVC, as copper and other meds seep into the rock/substrate. These can cause peoblems like mixing of different meds and such. Also, if you do use copper, it will leech into and can build up, making for a big problem.

If you are not sure I would not use copper as tangs do not handle it well. Scratching does not always mean ick. Yes in some cases it does but I would observe and see first. Make sure of PWC`s in your QT for optimal water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom