Something is killing my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You did good. :) I;m hoping ofr a quick recovery from whatever it is that got your guys. It's horrible not knowing the why. But you're doing everything as best you can. It's a good sign that the fish is looking better.

Is there any chance the water in the main tank was contaminated by something? A cleaning agent or something in the air? exterminator, anything different go on around that tank lately?

Not that I can think of, My honest opinion is that this all started when i bought a raccoon butterfly. He was the first to go, i think whatever it was that fish had it and brought it into my system.

I always scoffed at the idea of quarantining fish for a while, if my LFS does it before they sell me the fish why would I need to. Well needless to say i learned that lesson!

Am i going to have to do anything to my main tank? im going to give it a good cleaning since i have to re scape the whole thing. Just leaving it with no fish really will make whatever is in there die? Should i turn the system off for a while?

I would do a large water change and keep it running. You might also wanna vacuum up the sand a bit, nothing crazy but just get the top layer and skim off that.

You may have to keep the fish in qt for over a month to guarantee that whatever was in there dies. I didn't add any more fish to my tank for 2 months after my mystery outbreak but I did leave the survivors in adn they never got any symptoms or anything. I think I got lucky it didint wipe out everything.

Back
Top Bottom