SOS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JurisHP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am freaking-out. Yesterday I awoke to a dead wrasse. Ok that happens every so often so I just chalked it up to dying a natural death. This AM I awoke to my Powder Blue, Orange Shoulder, Gem and Purple all dead and others about to be dead. Devastated.

My parameters are as follows:

Salt: 35
Temp: 78.8
pH: 8.01
dKH: 8.92
Ca:L 465
Mg: 1209

The remaining fish look "cloudy"...not Ich...the only new thing I have done recently is turn back on my Ca reactor after having it off for about 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

First of all how old is your tank? Size? Occupants? Type wrasse? Ammonia,nitrites andnitrates.

180g...13 years old....I tested my Nitrates and they are off the charts! I din't understand why...the only new thing I did was re-start my Ca Rx after having it off for about 2 weeks....I hardly have any fish left...did a water change and will do another tomorrow.

Why do Nitrates shoot up all of the sudden? Could the Reactor be the culprit?

Im not to hip on reactors. Im old school on that stuff. I keep my calcium in check with frequent PWC's. I am assuming that you was ok on ammonia and nitrites. Sorry about your loss.

Calcium reactor? I would assume kicking it back on put some type of parameter out of whack enough to be that stressful to kill off the livestock. Even though a 'good' parameter, too much of a good thing can still kill.
If the nitrates are off the charts, they have been that way for awhile. Those things don't just show up in large numbers over time. Large water changes, no more than 50% of the water column a day. Though I'm not a fan of calcium reactors and the such, I am a fan of algae turf scrubbers in terms of assisting with nutrient management. They don't lead to drastic swings in parameters that can come from dosing and reactors.

Back
Top Bottom