star fish leg is rotting off ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BSUE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a star fish Pauciforis who's leg is slowly dying it started 2 weeks ago looked like a bite out of leg then the end of leg was gone and is slowly getting shorter he is moving around the tank Don't know what to do. We have had him for about 8 months in a 125 gallon tank with a Strip Wrasp, a Yellow Tang and snails and blue crabs and red crabs,coral banded cleaner shrimp and another star fish orange??? came with tank we have had a year any suggestions?????

Nothing you can do at this point. You can hope that it survives, but most likely starving to death and at this point it matters not ime. Don't let the animal rot or it'll foul the water quite a bit.

You may try to amputate the leg....Can you get a pic?

how would you amputate the leg? I was sort of thinking the same thing (but I know squat about salt water critters).... If there would be a way to amputate the leg I think it will grow back, or it that an old wives tale?

lol no its not a wives tale lol as a matter of fact some species not only can the star regrow the arm but some the arm can regrow a star........ so you have two stars..... its very interesting subject but as far as your star i dont know..... never had a problem with my star fish sand sifter very easy one to keep

It depends on the specie of the star. I saw a link on it a looong time ago. I couldn't even tell you what to search for.

James already stated it might be a goner. I don't know a heck of a lot about them or restoring them back to health. If you have a large bookstore around, you may want to get one on inverts or stars "disease and health" or something like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom