Star polyps not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently added some green star polyps to my 55 gallon sw tank After a few days in the tank several of them came out but two days later went back in and have not been out since is there something wrong or do I just need to give them more time to acclimate to the tank?

Moved to the SW sick fish and coral forum. You`ll get more answers there. Welcome to AA

did you acclimate them to your tank water before putting them in?
What lights do you have?
got any water parameters we could use?

yes they were acclimated to the tank by slowly adding water to them from the tank over a period of about a hour I have 2 54 watt 10k and 2 54 watt actinic blues Water params are ammonia 0 ph 8.2 nitrates 5 ppm and nitrites 0 and my salinity is at 1.024

Sometimes they can be very weird. I had mine for a few months then all of the sudden they stopped coming out. I ran some carbon for a while and they came back out, but to this day I still don't know what caused them to stay in.

I would run some carbon and try bumping your salinity up to 1.026 (slowly) then see where your at.

Could any of my fish be causing this I have 2 domino damsels 2 lemon damsels 1 blue damsel 2 clarki clowns a brittle star a coral banded shrimp and some snails and crabs I never see anything messing with them but I also dont watch my tank 24/7 either

i never acclimate corals, other than floating them to get the temp correct. i put them right in. i haven't lost one yet with this process. i would say you should move it to a different location and see if it likes the flow/light there.

okay so I moved one rock farther away from the light/flow and one closer to it I will see what happens from there

Keep an eye on those Damsels...7 is alot even for a 55....

yeah ive heard they could not come out for up to 2 weeks and they were fine. if they were placed high up it could be light shock

I had the exact same thing happen on a large GSP a few months back. It stayed completely closed up for about a week and then went through a big growth spurt and doubled in size in about 6 weeks. Someone else told me they experienced the same thing (they may have posted on this thread also). I would just leave it alone and give it a week or two.

It seems that moving my polyps away from the flow and light has helped. They have been out evryday for the last week! My only question is how fast will they grow given the right water conditions?

The colony I was talking about went from this on 4/19/10:

img_1207563_0_b2a359adc831d5a22e28ad518d3e0919.jpg

to this on 12/2/10

img_1207563_1_5bb0d1895f28ddc7cd2b285b354f6a4c.jpg

So roughly doubled in size in about 8-9 months in good H2O

mine didnt come out for months so i scrubed them off and upped my PH and they were out the next day

Back
Top Bottom