Star polyps stop opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No_Name

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Current water condition
pH 8.2
Amm= 0
No2= 0
No3= 0
2 months old tank.

I purchased a star polyps last week and placed 2/3 up from the bottom of my tank. As see this picture it was doing fine

But starting yesterday when i came back from work it all folded up. I moved down to the bottom of the tank but still don't help.

any idea. Oh btw my we just spotted there an very slim looking worm on the polyps it have a white and black pattern. I just took out of the DT and trying to take a picture of it.

The gsp like a lot of flow. They will retract if dirty. I use to put a ph on mine to keep clean until they came out. Then would move the ph. They can retract for months. But they are not necesarily dead. Make sure it is clean. Make sure it has good flow. Have you checked phoshates? Just be patient. They can come back after long peroids of retraction.

BTW once they get happy, they will take over. Grow like a weed. So be ready.

Attachments

• fish 032.jpg
    fish 032.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 120
That is only 6 months of growth. Started out about the size of half a dollar bill.

That what i been reading about star polyps, what about those hair line thin black ring pattern worm i spotted. I check the bottom of the polyps most are still purple so i guess most of it is ok. But what the area where i spotted the worm feel like dry up and very hard.

I moved mine last month, and where I took them from seems to be just as much as the original frag. They took a couple days to open up once I put them in their new place.

Poylps take a while to open up, You shouldnt of moved them the first time. They like a bit of flow and light.
Keep them in one position and they'll adapt to it and extend there poylps. Moving them will only confuse them and make them not open up.

They will take a few weeks to settle down once moved. So get it where you can leave it and leave it. As far as the black lines, can u get a close up pic?

Sorry to open a old thread but I'm on my phone and don't have enough time to start a new one. I got a slight problem. On my polyps. Algea has began to grow over the top of a few spots and it's keeping the polyps from sprouting out. What can I Do to get the algea removed with out damaging the polyp body?

Yep, This is a problem with poylps and algae. Your going to have to remove it somehow.
Poylps are quite strong, they can handle being tossed around and what not, They just wont open for a week or so. So take it out if you can, Give it a clean in some NSW and place it back. Give it a week or so and should be fine.

Then start looking at whats causing the algae, Because you dont want to be pulling out your corals once a week because of it.

You can use a tooth brush. But you need to find source to stop it. Too much light or food probably.

Ok. Too much light. They are about half way up the tank and I'm using 54 watt 10K Catalina bulbs. 2 whites and 2 blues. The lights are on only 9 hours of the day. And I don't spot feed or anything. I feed the fish pellets and brine shrimp and that's really it.

I heard I can use a toothbrush like you said. It won't damage the goo like stuff that the polyps grow out of will it? That's what I'm most scared of.

I used a toothbrush on mine. As long as you use a soft bristle and do it gently you should be ok. They're hardy coral, for sure. As stated before I would look into whats causing your algae issue. Green hair especially will cover corals quickly and cause problems.

I've got anthelia like crazy and no algea on or around them. No algea on the rocks anywhere. I also have another piece of polyps that has no algea on it but this one particular spot does. I will try the toothbrush and be gentle. I'm sure that will take care of it. I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom