Starfish Injury? Very strange to me at least...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davebailey46

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought this starfish from Liveaquaria:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=580
I spent 3 hours last night acclimating him. I used a turkey baster with a 1/2 oz of water every five to ten minute from my main and added to his bag...and then of course transferring him into a container. I NEVER exposed any of him to oxygen even during tank introduction. I put him in after lights out and watched him for almost an hour... then off to bed. I get home from work today and his stomch has exploded!
Was it eposer to oxygen in transit to me? Was he injured by something?
Note my tank currently has:
O clown
Coral Beauty
Bangaii Cardinal
Neon Goby
Cleaner shrimp
Snails and inverts
Leather coral
Star polyps
Hammer coral
BTA
Not a very aggresive tank IMO
Will he recover (From the look of it I doubt it)

Attachments

• img_0001_877.jpg
    img_0001_877.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 36
  • img_0005_291.jpg
    img_0005_291.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 41
Same thing happened to a star that I had for a wk. Mine looked like that then slowley disolved. And my clown ate part of him after he started to disolve. Its from not acclimating long enough is what I gather.

That's too bad! :( That starfish is beautiful!

At least you can get the money you paid for him back, although I don't know about shipping...Hopefully if you try again, you'll get one that'll stay alive!

Necrosis = Death of cells or tissues through injury or disease, especially in a localized area of the body.

It has spread so fast! I believe he is about to die. There are at least 3 different outbreaks and one leg is almost detached. Sucks...I really hope it wasn't something I overlooked I put so much time and research into its well being

Starfish are poor shippers for the most part. They don't handle condition changes very well either. I had a star do the same thing and I got it at the LFS. Depending on the salinity, etc of the bag water, 3 hours might not have been enough. The difference in your water vs the bag water should be the determining factor on the length of the acclimation.

At least Liveaquaria as a guarantee. I want to try a star again but I have not yet.

Next time I challenge a star I will check the shipping/LFS water very carefully and adjust. Thanks ellisz....
I still hope it wasn't me...But it sure seems to be...
Damn you evil world

Might not have been you. The last one I tried, I got before the LFS could acclimate so I took it straight from their shipper. I drip acclimated and the starfish lived for about a month. I thought I was good. Then it moved behind some rock work and I never saw it again :(

Sometimes it is out of your control.

Back
Top Bottom