Starfish is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daviddes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393656102.765011.jpg
Over the past week my starfish has lost one leg, another leg is flaking and dying off, can someone tell me if there is anything I can do to save the starfish. I have a smaller red one in se tank which is perfectly fine, also have 40 plus baby snails in the tank, nitrate is slightly high but everything else is good.

He won't make it. People think they do this when they starve. Haven't ever seen a star recover once they start this. You might want to put him a QT tank just so he doesn't foul the water any more.

That and most stars can not be exposed to air. Not even for seconds. You have to keep adding tank water to the bag and pouring off until most of the LFS water is gone and then quickly plunge the bag underwater and pull the star out. No contact with air. If he does have contact with air there is noway of reversing the process.

I had a star do the same thing. It will eventually just become the center with no legs. I agree with moving it to another tank though, just in case.

I've found most starfish to be very very fragile and not do well in the home aquarium. They do not do very well in newer tanks especially. :-(

The only hardy star i have ever had is the sea serpent ones, they come in several colors too so you might consider that if you want to replace this one.

That and most stars can not be exposed to air. Not even for seconds. You have to keep adding tank water to the bag and pouring off until most of the LFS water is gone and then quickly plunge the bag underwater and pull the star out. No contact with air. If he does have contact with air there is noway of reversing the process.
I tell people that all the time! But some argue that it is only certain stars, so I acknowledge their "experience", but always retort "Better safe than sorry with starfish"

Back
Top Bottom