Starfish's chances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone I recently went to my fav LFS and after getting some base rock for my 45G, saw a starfish getting picked the hell out of by a blenny. Now this starfish had all of his/her arms but were in halfs. I felt sorry for the little guy and got a great discount... its a tiger serpent star, and I got it for about 7 bucks (originally about 24 bucks). I put it into my tank and it did move, but really moved at night as it disappreaed from sight and went into the rockwork. feeding it though was a bit of a pain.. I put formula one in there and after it not wanting to move (like an idiot I forced it during the day) I gave up. Alas I think it did eat as the food is gone and it moved from one hiding spot to another without me seeing it (so during the night with the moonlights on). What are the chances of it growing its arms back and becoming whole again? Is there anything I should be doing to help?

When I do get LR I will buy it cured as to avoid recyclying the tank again, which would prob be a nono for the star fish, and would cause for a longer wait.

What are the chances of it growing its arms back and becoming whole again? Is there anything I should be doing to help?

That realy depends on why it dropped it's legs. If it is due to acclimation issues or bacterial infection there isn't much chance it will survive much longer, if it was due to trauma, the chances of the legs growing back a pretty good.

i agree w/ rr. On the new rock issue, unless you move the rock from an existing system directly- a couple of hours- into your tank i think you will experience some sort of "cycle".. The size of the "cycle" of course depends on the condition and amount of rock being introduced and the shipping method. JMO

Well I was going to get the LR directly from the LFS, not ordering it, so it doesn't need to be shipped. Heh I looked for him this morning and he disappeared... amazing how these guys can hide!

Also should I refrain from purchasing another starfish for his sake? Basically letting him be the only scavenger in the tank so that he may get dibs on foods and not worry about compeition but healing(at this rate.. only resident until I get back from winter vacation)?

Back
Top Bottom