Strange False Perc Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hold Anchovies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago, I introduced two similarly sized False Percula into a new 55 gallon tank that has 80 pounds of live rock, a few snails, a couple of Sally Lightfoot crabs and a couple of Serpent Starfish.

One of the Clowns, Bozo, has taken to swimming from end to end of the tank, nose up, about one or two inches below the water line. The other Clown, Nemo, seems to be occasionally cornered by Bozo's behavior. Neither fish has nipped at the other, and they do not seem to mind being together other than Nemo's seemingly cornered appearance at times (that may just be my perception though........). Both fish can swim normally, and do when I get after them with the net. I did this simply see if Bozo could swim properly. He can. When I first put them into the tank, Bozo would get in the current and swim against it like a rat on a wheel.

The numbers for the tank are fine, and the oxygenation is great with the Sea clone Skimmer tossing out more than it's share of bubbles. Both fish ate at the LFS prior to purchase, and both ate brine shrimp initially upon placement in the tank, but today neither ate.

Is Bozo just a fitness freak? Is Bozo exhibiting dominant behavior towards Nemo? Is Bozo compulsive? Is Bozo sick in some way?

My clowns and alot of fish love to swim in the currents of power heads. As for the behavior, it sounds normal of a newly introduced clown. Sometimes they just sit in one spot, and sometimes the swim like crazy. Percula clowns are weird acting sometimes. They can act totally different than another clown in the same tank. HTH! :wink:

Just keep an eye on them and take notes if it makes you feel better. That doesn't sound out of the normal, nor does it sound like dangerous behavior.

Have fun watching your fish.

Back
Top Bottom