stripe damsel turing all black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsa83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i've had this one damsel fish for about 2 week now. the past 3 nights i came home around 11pm-1am and found him practically all black. his white stripes were dark. i knew some thing was wrong b/c he was leaning between two pieces of live rock every time i got home.. i've tested the water right away every night when i saw him in distress. i kept the light on all night and turned on my protein skimmer. ... i don't normally keep the skimmer on all day b/c its only one fish and my fluval 305 is always running. i do turn on the skimmer for about an 1hr or 2 a day just to clean up any thing from the damsel or uneaten food. ...

when i turn on the skimmer at night it takes about an hr or 2 for him to start getting his color back and swimming normally. he only turns that color when i come home @ night. when i come home from work around 5pm hes still normal. im just curious why he looks so sick looking when all the water requirements are fine. i know a protein skimmer helps with the oxygen quality but i never had this problem before. it only started happening on sunday.

i don't like keeping the skimmer on 24/7 b/c its loud and its only one fish in there. i know some ppl don't even use skimmers period. i turn it on a few times during the day. but if its gonna help the fish survive then i'll keep it on

If it was me I would turn the skimmer on 24/7 and turn the lights off at nite. Fish need a routine just like in nature. They need daylight and nightime to rest and recouperate. What are the water test results?

If it was me I would turn the skimmer on 24/7 and turn the lights off at nite. Fish need a routine just like in nature. They need daylight and nightime to rest and recouperate. What are the water test results?

ph ... 8.0
ammo ... 0
nitrite ...0 .. test water turned blue
nitrate ...0 .. test water turned yellow
SG ... 1.025

i know when there are traces of ammo or nitrate in the tank stripe damsel's blk stripes turn white and pale. but i'm wondering what causes the white stripes to turn blk..

... will do.. i'm keeping the skimmer on 24/7 now. seems like its helping but i just want to know whats wrong.

I have had a 3 stripe in my tank for 12 yrs now. Never seen the white stripes turn black though so I cant help. Just keep your skimmer going and set up a daytime/nitetime routine and his stress will lower maybe causing color to go back to natural.

i had one that everynight when it slept it turned all black when it would wake up his stripe would come back right before your eyes.

xsmoker_3 said:
i had one that everynight when it slept it turned all black when it would wake up his stripe would come back right before your eyes.

Same here;) mine does the same thing

did he looked/acted as if he was sick when he turned dark?.. he hasnt been turning the dark color any more

No he's never seemed sick, does it in the morning- and if he's stressed, if I move things around in the tank he does it too;) once he's settled goes back to normal

Back
Top Bottom