such a noob its sick. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppavlik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am lost
PLease help a newbie...

Okay I need some help. I just picked up my 65gl bowfront acrylic with all of the filtration in the back wall of the tank...

Okay first???..There are two grates in my overflow box, should i be putting something in them?

Is there a such thing as too much circulation, my fish seem to be fighting against the current and my sand is shifting... What is the best direction to point it. Also I just ordered two more powerheads tonight.. is that gonna be dangerous.

Please explain or send in a direction where I can learn about this filtration system... I dont know how the Protien skimmer works or how often I should be dumping that cup out.

I am clueless with this filtration system shed some light ...

Thanks for taking a look... I appreciate it.

I can't really help, but I do think that people are going to need some more information--what kind of filtration and skimmer? How long has the tank been up? What's in it? With more details, you can get better help from those who know . . .

The filtration system is built ino the back of the 65gl Acrylic bowfront tank. The water goes through the overflow holes and drops onto two grates about 4 inches apart.{should there be media on these grates}... Then the water goes to the protien skimmer and then onto a wet/dry filter and then into an area with just a pump that pumps it back ut into the tank via a nozzle....

I just bought the tank today and dont know the manufacturer, I think the filter components are ehiem. I switched my 55gl into this one my 55 was set up for about 6 months.

Hope this helps a little... pardon my lack of a clue :( :oops: :oops:

There may be a outlet hole leading from your skimmer collection cup. Might see if there is a way to connect a hose to it and drop it into a plastic container somehow. Got cured rock in your tank already? Not sure what to suggest on how often to empty the collection since we don't know what's in the tank. But @ start up, with rock or other decaying stuff, you should watch it everyday.

Is the overpowering water flow only from your filter return? Mine is pointed along the back, parrallel to the water. Maybe yours is pointing down and moving sand.

How big/small are the 2 additional PHs? Not necessarily trouble. I'm use my return, and 3 other PHs. One stronger on the opposite wall so that the flow meets the return flow on the front wall. Those 2 "crash" a bit and and send water back thru the middle. The other smaller two serve as boosters for the return, one pointed high and the other low.

Clear as mud now? Maybe some other more computer literate members can do a diagram.

Back
Top Bottom