Switched from canister to sump 2 fish died help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Funkdoctor3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to the site switched my tank from fluval 405 to a sump wrasse died tang dying clowns fine ph a little low all other levels good any ideas???

About ten hours 2 clowns r fine one dead six line wrasse and a tang hanging on

Your tank is going through a full cycle again.

If the canister is still full of water the media in it may be useable.

Hook it up to your tank asap.

Do a water change asap to get the ammonia and nitrite levels down.

You may save the rest of the fish

I already emptied and cleaned it but atleast I know what I did wrong now thanks for the help how long till it's done cycling again

Test for ammonia and nitrites. If you have any, then yeah... your tank is cycling. But I just can't imagine that you'd build up toxic levels of ammonia in just 10 hours - assuming you got rid of all your bacteria with your cannister. How much live rock do you have?

Hmm. If no ammonia or nitrites, then I wouldn't suspect that's the cause of fish death. I wouldn't rule out that your tank may cycle in the next few days, but with 60 lbs of rock you should have a fair amount of bacteria on your rock and in your sand to start with. It's not like you're starting completely over again. I'm assuming you had some type of media in the cannister like sponges or ceramic rings or something like that?

Only other thing that comes to mind is oxygenation. By removing the cannister, you removed a good chunk of circulation. But then I'm assuming your return pump from your sump is probably providing more circulation than you took away?

How big of a sump did you add? Did you use RO/DI water? What material did you use for your sump? How long was the unit shut down in the switch over to the sump. O2 Issue like Kurt said......Possible..

I used a megaflow model 3 box. And 1200 gph mag drive pump and added a power head with bio balls foam filter .I should be getting more ox then ever my two clowns r still alive tang didn't make it had him three years a bummer

That's too bad. It's always a bad thing when you lose a fish that you have had for awhile. looks like the worse is over. Double check your water and if anything looks a little off do a PWC and you should be back on track.

Back
Top Bottom