Tang has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I thought my tang had a spot of ich when I first got him but the next day it was gone so I thought I might have been salt/sand.... Well I come home today and it's COVERED in white spots. Only fish I have in there is my sailfin tang and a bangi cardinal. What's the best way to go about this?

Only tank I have for a qt is a 10g. I have a small filter that came with the 10g I just put on my display tank hoping it will collect bb. I have a filter pad that's in my sump it has only been in there for 2 days though. I know I need to leave my main tank fish less for 4-6 weeks. But how should I treat the fish?

Also is it ok to just use tap water in my qt or should I still use ro/di? I ask because our unit is down for maintenance...

I personally would treat them in your qt tank with cupramine which is a copper based med. But it is a more fish friendly copper then most . Just follow the directions, get yourself a copper test kit that will read ionic copper such as api or seachem's, the stuff works great, keep them in there for 2 or 3 weeks and you should be good to go. Make sure you keep and eye on the ammonia level though.

Does the qt tank need a powerhead? I heard it takes 4-6 weeks for ich to die off?

A powerhead would be a good addition if you have one, and yes 4 to 6 weeks but thats for it to die off in the main tank they can't survive without a fish host. But after 2 or 3 weeks you can remove the copper from the qt and they should be cured.

If you don't want to use copper, you can do hypo salinity... It's less stressful for the fish and is a more effective method. Not saying to NOT do copper, just giving a second option.

Only thing with the hypo is you will have to get a refractometer to make sure the salinity is accurate otherwise either one is acceptable.

tonedogz said:
Only thing with the hypo is you will have to get a refractometer to make sure the salinity is accurate otherwise either one is acceptable.

Spot on.

Back
Top Bottom