TANGS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally if you are saying that they are too big for a 55g I wouldn't say it would be ok for a 75.... you only get a few extra inches in depth with a 75 vs a 55 so there isn't a huge benifit there. I believe it is just about five inches with isn't a whole lot.

I don't think volume is as important as tank length.. IMO they need a 5ft tank to be able to grow normally.. anything less will cause stunting and associated health problems. It should tell us something that these fish only grow to a fraction of their natural size in most home aquaria.

BTW if you keep one in a small tank until they are 6" then the damage has probably already been done.

Ya but most domesticated animals are smaller than their wild counterparts. It isn't limited to just fish. Even with a 200g tank it probably won't grow as large as it can in the wild... Besides the fact that the ocean has more idealistic conditions... they have a wider variety of meal choices... BTW my Yellow Tang seems to pick at my live rock... is he eating the brown algae? There really aren't many inverts in my tank (if any because I haven't seen any snails or crabs for about a week).

It depends on the tangs, for example yellow and purble tangs can not be in the same tank unless you add three to five
As far as other tangs as long as there not the same kind your ok ,example I added a sail fin and a nasa tang ,no problem there ,two different types of tangs
Now the yellow and purble should be added last as they are the nasty ones that tend to want to run the tank ,a soho is real nasty but pretty, once you add him in your done as he will not allow any other fish in tang or non tang
A don't suggest the blue hypo tang, there the first to get sick and they don't tend to do well in captivity

MattP725 said:
Ya but most domesticated animals are smaller than their wild counterparts.
I'm not talking about domestic breeds compared to wild breeds.. I'm talking about animals caught in the wild and put into captivity. Either way, I'm not sure that it makes it okay just because it happens elsewhere.

MattP725 said:
the ocean has more idealistic conditions... they have a wider variety of meal choices
The variety part may be true, but there's no way wild fish eat as well as pet fish. IMO most aquarium fish are overfed.. couple that with limited space for exercise and you have a recipe for unhealthy fish (applies to humans too).

Back
Top Bottom