The Black Spot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 weeks after being moved from QT (4 weeks) to the main tank, my two clowns are showing a few little black spots :evil:

They are the only fish I have, so, assuming this is an actual parasite or something, I will remove them to the QT again and treat them together.

spot1.JPG

spot2.JPG

spot3.JPG

?'s
Is this a parasite like ich?
How do I treat them and for how long?
How long should the main tank be fishless before it's free from the parasite?

Thanks for any advice.

mabe a birthmark ?? lmao honestly not sure if thats an issue ! i myself wouldnt worry unless they started to spread

Anyone have any ideas what these spots are?

I have clownfish that have similar spots. They behave normally, and are eating as usual, but one day these spots showed up just like the one's that gear head posted.

One of mine has the same thing and has had it for a long time...wouldnt be to worried about it. Just like us humans get weird things pop up, they do too!!

My wife's a Dermatologist, she suggested lasering them off 8O

I think I'll pass on that! Anyway, the other clown of the pair is spot free.

randalp said:
Anyone have any ideas what these spots are?
Two possibilities, Tubellarian worms or melanism. In most all cases the latter.

Cheers
Steve

gear-head said:
melanoma! That's what my wife said! Use more sunscreen ...
Funny guy but not the same thing entirely. Dark patchy color morphs are quite common to many clown species. Some suggest it due to poor feeding or environment but many more occurances have been linked to pair bonding and hosting. I lean more towards the latter.

Cheers
Steve

They look just like the burns from hanging around a sarco or lobo. Any leathers in the tank?

I have a post in this section about my clown doing the same thing. You may want to look at the photo and see his possible future. Lots more black on mine now over the past year.

GL,
-PC

Back
Top Bottom