The royal gamma sick? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dude i dont have a quarentine tank and many of the articles sed a way to get rid of it is to raise the temperature it will kill the parasite

Dude... then get one. And I think if you reread those articles, you'll find that the only thing increased temperature does to SALTWATER ich is *maybe* increase the life cycle... but it will NOT kill it. Now if you're reading about FRESHWATER ich, then yes... temperature is a part of that treatment. But those are two totally different parasites.

Good luck to ya.

oh i must have accidently read about freshwater but i did what that one article sed and lowered the salinity the salt level is now 1.20 should i go lower or is that good?

You should not have lowered the SG of the main tank.

This is why everyone is telling you to get a QT tank. You can pick up a 10g tank for about $10 at walmart. By changing the SG so suddenly in your tank you could very easily made the situation worse.

I think eveyone has provided you with good advice so far. There is no quick simple answer. You will have to do some research.

Lowering the SG in your main tank to the levels required (1.009) will kill everything in your tank except your fish. Snails, crabs, corals... everything. That's why you do it in a quarantine tank. Lowering the SG even to 1.020 quickly in your main tank may have started the beginning of the end for your crabs/snails, and yellow polyps. They may not be dead right now, but they sure aren't very happy with you, and may not be doing too well in a week or two.

the QT tanks do they have em at pet co how much will they cost

ok i bought the QT tank or the hospital tank and a filter a heater and a thermometer the LFS said another good way to kill the parasite is to dip the sick fish in freshwater for just a minute or two and that will kill the parasite almost immediately and than put in the hospital or QT tank and lower salinity a lil bit and that will kill it does sound well?

No, hyposalinity does the trick. FW only affects parasites on the outer skin layer margins and not those burried within. Do a search on hyposalinity; There are many links available on this site if searched :)

ok im also going to put him in the quarentine doing a daily water change and theres this copper medicine stuff they told me to use aswell

I would not use the copper if it is in such a dire state as you describe. Copper is a very harsh medication that literally burns the parasite from their skin including their skin/mucous layer. Does it work, yes. Should you use it in this case, no.

I don't know if there is going to be a quick fix solution for your problem like medication. Your best bet is probably going to be a carefully done hypo treatment. Make sure you do this slowly to put the least amount of stress on the fish.

ok but i know to QT my fish but mean while when im doing thta how exactly do i get it out of the normal tank

well nvm my gramma is ded by the time i dipped him in the freshwater than put him in the quarentine he died within an hour :( :( :( :( but i decided to do is that im going to just stick with my scooter blenny and stock it a lot with corals and with the lil 10 gallon tank im gonna buy some lights and either make it an all sea horse tank or a freshwater this wont be for a while though..

Sorry to hear about your gamma. I've never heard of people having very good luck with the freshwater dip. Ick is tuff to deal with if you don't catch it early. You should take your scooter blenny out of the main tank and keep him in the 10gal QT for 6-8 weeks while you wait for the ick to die in your tank or he will just get it too. I would go ahead and do the hypo treatment for the blenny just to be safe. Keep the 10gal tank around just for a QT tank. Its a really good idea to QT a fish for a couple weeks when you first get it just to avoid putting sick fish or transfering undesireable things into your main tank. read this on QT

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/5/1/Quarantine-for-saltwater-fish/Page1.html

but lol heres the thing im affraid doing the transfer will kill the blenny because the lil tank hasnt been cycled the amonia is probobly rocketing and the salt level is a little bit low and i dont want to put my blenny through that he has not shown any signs at all for ich

is there any kind of filteration system at all that i can put in my tank that prevents/kills the ich bacterial from coming back cause its horrible thing and i really would not like it to come back into my tank

Nope, nothing that will kill it 100%. Starving it will be your only way of revenge!

ha ha well it sure doesnt seem to like my blenny :) thank goodness no signs of it at all yet :)

Back
Top Bottom