The worst was/is yet to come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sea apple has been out of this tank since Monday. The dead snails came out right away. GAC in large quanitities has been in the sump. The fish are still dieing.

In fact, the lionfish was just buried, the christmas tree rock taken out. And now, the corals are starting to show the ill effects, seem I wont escape with them alive either.

There is nothing I can do to express me sorrow for you. I am terribly upset to see something so horrible happen to someone so nice. I hope things work out for and the corals are not next on the list.

OK, one last time and I will be quiet.

The only thing is ... the other tanks, the seahorse and the 55 are fine. They all had water changes less than a week ago.

This has nothing to do with your water or the water changes.

Evidence from your explanations point to one thing as follows:

The only thing that stays common no matter how justifiable it is, is the Sea Apple. The other tanks that are fine, did not have one in the tank. I hate to say it but I think you are being a little naive on the fact that the Sea Apple could have released a very small amount ot the toxins out before the snails died and then when you took it out, it could have released more wreaking havoc on the entire system.

no Tim, there is nothing naive about me. I understand that the sea apple can be considered a possibility, but not the only possibility, I want to make da*n sure that whatever it was does not happen again. I want to make sure that is what it was, not just surmise so. I am out fish that I worked my butt off to raise. Not to mention the cash loss of well over 500.00 now.

The serpent stars started with their bacterial infection about a week or more, before this happened, right after a water change. Then the Naso died, then the water change was done. Then all hell broke loose. The sea apple never changed his lifestyle one bit. and now the corals are crashing too.

Not all this is common to a sea apple issue.

Hara I understand your frustration and I must say I am at a complete loss as to what happened. I dont know what I would do in your situation. But I must say one thing that you are doing that is great. You are involing us in this situation that way we can all learn from this because of your unfortunate experiece, that is if we can pinpoint the cause. I hate to say it, because we know how he can be, but have you attempted to ask Dr. Ron Shimek or any other experts. Maybe one of them will know. They may not, and sometimes the responce may be rude, but I think its worth a try.

my nerves are raw, I could not take "rude" right now. Not with any kinds of civility.
Maybe I will ask later, after I am more able to cope with it.

any colleges or universities in your area? Any within a reasonable driving distance? See if they have a Marie Biology department. (maybe even one you could mail a water sample to) Tell them your situation and ask if you can send a water sample. They may be able to test it with other methods not available/feasable to the hobbiest. Some professors may even make it a challenge assignment to his/her students. "What's wrong with this water? any thing? Find out and earn extra credit."

it's worth a try.

I'm not going to add my 2 cents...I'm just letting you know that my thoughts are with you and I hope the corals get through.

Back
Top Bottom