THis Shrimp is a threat no more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One LFS that I used to visit ("used to" being the key phrase) sold me a sea apple. My girlfriend wanted it and it was cheap, so I got it. They assured me it was safe in the reef, blah-blah-blah.

I just happened to visit my trusted LFS that night and told him about the sea apple. His eyes grew wide and he cringed when he heard it. Told me it was a ticking time-bomb, that once it died it would release it's insides and poison the entire tank. I asked him if he wanted it and he said he didn't have a place to keep it - and that he didn't want it anyway.

The Sea Apple bought the farm that night. Sorry. I'm not risking $2,000 worth of livestock while looking for a home for a sea animal that no one wants.

So I understand your situation.

Excellent idea,xahx. And remember, everyone on this site loves to help people (I'm new and I can still tell you this for sure), if you're ever not sure about a species, ask! :D

Euthanizing an animal humanely would be a lot different then mutilating it.

Anyway, to the original poster... Cleaner Shrimp are much more fun to watch than a CBS anyway :D

Ok not jumping on the band wagon here but I have one too and i have had no problems with him, Is it a matter of time or will he behave if fed enough.

I never had a problem with him messing with fish or coral, but he messed with my anemones when I tried to feed them.

Thats really sad that you had to do that to the poor little guy. He's only doing what he knows to do. I think that you have changed your tune a little bit, as you said you would trade him. Thats what i suggest you do if you want him gone. On a side note, my CBS has harmed nothing at all. I guess some do and some don't. :wink:

That's what I was thinking, you and Thumper have bigger tanks so your CBS are happier. I had mine in a 29 gal., I think he was mad :x .

Kind of reminds me of the places where they cut hands off for stealing, yank tongues out for lieing...I have often wondered what they do for stupidity.

Please understand that this is a place where MOST members have a respect for aquatic life that makes them cringe when hearing stories like this. I am happy that this has not deteriorated into a bad thread.

The moral of the story is to do research BEFORE making the purchase. (normally the word of a LFS is not considered research)

A few weeks ago I bought a puppy. The thing was a little nipper. Anyway I heard my young nephew crying when he was playing with the puppy. The puppy was teething and nipped him. I got so angry that I yanked every tooth out of that puppies mouth.

Of course that didn't happen, but I don't see a difference here. IMO we have an ethical obligation to provide the best possible care for the animals we own. Deliberate mutilation of any creature is inhumane.

I always reserch everything befor buying it. Most of the time the guys at the LFS are telling me the saem things I already found out, but I always ask again just to make sure I diden't overlook anything.
I know it is hard to find a good LFS depending on where you are. I guess that I'm just lucky having at least three great stores right here in town.

Please request your LFS visit our site. The more retailers that are out there that are educated the better it is for the hobby. Its real simple to blame the store employees but we also have a responsiblity to help educate those whom need it.

Of course you could suggest they read the saltwater books they sell (assuming they sell them) but that would probably not be the best tactful method.

If you think the shrimp is bad...wait till your 5 dollar a polyp mushrooms start killing off your 100 dollar 2" frags. That may be exxaggerated for your tank, but not for many, at any rate the reef is not a peaceful community, it's a violent murderous place. Darwinism at it's finest. It's folly to expect different in a small glass container in your living room. Generally CBS are considered reef safe, but let's explore what that means, it means they do not feed on or damage sessile inverts, your fish are fair game. That said, while if they can catch and eat them, they will...they generally can't catch them unless they are already sick.

"Reef-safe" isn't a loosely used phrase that is open to a lot of interpretation....

We are attempting to completely manage an ecosystem and it can't be done. Even within the confines of an aquarium you can't control or predict every species interaction.

If I could control every thing it the tank...this hobby would get kind of dull.

IMO there are different kinds of folks in this hobby.
Some get into it because they love the inhabitants of the sea and treat their animal as pets (IMO the way it should be). They do their homework, make their mistakes and end up with many years of enjoyment of their little undersea world that they create.
There is another segment of folks in this hobby that keep a tank to make a room look better, or to impress their family and friends. Kinda like when somebody puts a pretty picture on the wall. These folks will eventually crash and burn, unless they have a lot of luck.
Then there is a 3rd segment that gets into this hobby with good intentions and are misguided by certain LFS's that are in it for the quick buck and could care less if they succeed or not. These folks usually give up after a short attempt at keeping a system, many times they become bitter from their bad experience.
IMO the folks that fit in the first category will have the most success. We have to realize that these animals are snatched from their home in the sea for our enjoyment. If we bring them into our homes, we take on the responsibility of giving them the best care that we are capable of giving. They become out pets, like it or not. Proper research is the key in a hobby when there are so many variables and one should not rely on one LFS for all their info.
We are here to help, but mutilating an animal is not the answer. Please research your future additions and if the answers are not found on your own, please come here and ask us. There are a lot of folks here with expertise in different areas and we love to help.

a freshwater friend gave me some advice when i was starting my tank. he said expect everything you put in your tank to eventually kill something or be killed. of course that is a vague statement, but it is very true in a reef system. nature decides whats best for everyones tank. we can try to make choices that will lean towards the outcome we want but animals are not robots and cant be exactly predicted.

i think you will make better choices in the future

steve r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom