Toadstool Leather Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok here is a pic of my toadstool. It has not had its poylps extended in about 2 weeks. Its been in flow, out flow. I have tried moving it around. The water is fine as is all other corals. Well my Xenia died a while back..hmm..anyway here is the pick. What do you think?

From the picture it appears that you may have cyanobacteria growing on the leather. I would try gently rubbing the surface of the leather to help shed the outer layer of skin and to remove the red algae.

If i remember correctly you toad is new? It is normal for a new toad to not put out its polyps, mine is established and it still sometimes pulls them in. I dont know about the algae on it, but i personally would not rub it, i would just put it in high flow. Toads are pretty hardy so if everuthing is in balance i dont think anything should be wrong.

sicklidkid said:
but i personally would not rub it, i would just put it in high flow.
Agreed a higher flow area will help. Even taking a turkey baster and gentley blowing over the coral will help. What you are seeing is the coral shedding also refered to as sloughing. Leather corals will commonly do this to remove impurities or as sicklidkid suggested after being introduced to a new environment. Given your light intensity it may also be the coral is receiving to much light. If you can find a good water flow area to help the coral shed a bit and a slightly shaded spot, that is where I would relocate it.

From what I can see the coral is not sick, just dormant. The red at the base is most likely cyano but is also rather common to most leathers and soft corals with a larger crown and smaller base.

Cheers
Steve

Hey thanks for the great info. I have moved the leather to the bottom of the tank, and placed it right under a small ph. This morning there is a ton of green hair algae that seems to be taking over it, and it will not blow off. What do you think? :wink:

Where is the algae concentrated, on the crown or stalk?
The easiest solution is a soft bristled toothbrush and ever so gentley remove the hair algae. Be sure this is not the outer skin beginning to shed, that would just need a slight gust of water to help it along.

Cheers
Steve

rhev, your toadstool looks 500 % better than mine, I'm about to begin a post on mine which i bought a week ago, its definitely sloughing but i think its even worst. its like necrosis, some of the pieces are coming off badly. I do't know how to post a pic but i'll ask evenings (my BF) to put a pic of it.. My toadstool really looks bad.

Back
Top Bottom