Toadstool leather white areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had my toadstool leather for about 2 months now and up until now it has been perfect. It seems to have developed white patches. They used to only be visible in one spot, but have moved onto another as of today. It opens its extensions except in the white spot areas. I have no clue what they are. All of my other corals are fine. I will post a picture shortly.

Levels as of today

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Salinity 1.026

Two days ago the water was slightly cloudy (barely noticeable), but I added carbon and did a partial water change. Seemed to clear up before I even had time to buy the carbon. (not sure if this is relevant but I figured it couldnt hurt to give more info on situation)

that looks like the leather is ready to shed a layer ... this is normal ...it can take up to a week (sometimes more to return to "normal" ) If it takes longer you can do an Iodine dip 6 drops to 32 ounces of water let it soak for 15 minutes and return to the tank .....HTH :D

If it`s the iodine that is in a bottle with eyedropper than like sadie said 6 drops will be OK but if it`s the one in a plastic bottle with just a cap on it I would do a cap full or two in a milk jug cut in half. That what I use.

Yep just use tank water ...just do NOT put that water back into your tank ...
Iodine can be gotten @most LFS if not you can ask your local pharmacy if they have lugols if not they usually can get it in .....other wise search out the concentration and just get plain old iodine at the pharmacy and use an eye dropper sold seprate (about 50 cents or so )Lugols is about 2% if I recall correctly ....if you get the 1% solution (what is available at most pharmacies ) double the GTTS to 25 - 30 GTTS per 32 or so ounces or a 1/2 gallon of water in a clean container (new) ...HTH

Ok Im going to pick up some iodine tomorrow hopefully if weather isnt too bad. Now should I wait til it sheds to iodine dip it? Or just do it whenever i get some?

So my leather shed good. And it opened up for about 3 days. Now its closed again and looks exactly how it did before it shed. Is it possible that it is shedding again??? My clowns have seemed to be rubbing up in it for some reason too.

Clowns rub against something when they want to get used to it to host it. Although I've never heard of a Clown hosting a Toadstool. Or any leather come to that.

That'd be interesting if they did. They seem to host the bottom left corner of the tank as of now. Kind of boring. Btw the leather did shed again...looks perfect again. Weird it shed two times in a row though....

Your leather will "slough" many more times in it`s lifetime. Mine does it about every two to three weeks. Just part of being a leather coral.

You never know. My maroon clown hosting a toadstool leather for over a year. Next to leather there is anemone but it does not matter to him :uzi::D.

Back
Top Bottom