Toadstool with White Spots...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, the title says it all. My toadstool leather looks quite healthy, however, I've noticed blotchy white spots on it as of late. There is probably like 5-6 spots total, with most of them on the underside. Just recently I noticed one on the top surface where it's tentacles stick out.

Steve-s, is this a bad sign?

It could be just about anything. If on the top of the toadstool I'd say it was detritus settling and you need a bit more water flow. On the underside (stalk or crown?), it could be something irritating it. Either an animal or a nearby coral.

Post some info about the tank set up, water parameters/chemistry, inhabitants (fish and inverts), nearby corals and how long you've had the leather.

Cheers
Steve

Definitaly not detrius settling. I have a Flo deflector blowing directly over the toadstool about 2" away from it. I have mushrooms to the left & right, but nothing really touches it.

It's a 20g, 0 trites, 10 trates, ph 8.5, alk 180 ppm, ammonia 0, phos 0.5.....4 fish, 1 shrimp, few snails.

I've attached a photo that shows one spot. There about 5 spots in various places.

001.jpg

Corallimorphs are actually very noxious tank mates. The closer they are to a neighbouring coral, the more likely for damage to occur. More commonly when touching but proximity can be a concern as well. I also see what looks to be a line/notch's in the corals flesh, not the bottom area but towards the crown. Have you checked after lights out to see if anything is snacking on the toadstool?

Cheers
Steve

I know what you mean regarding the mushrooms. I had my mushroom rock fall and lay on my hammer and did some considerable damage.

I know in that pic it looks very close to the toadstool, but it's far away enough that when it the shroom opens fully, there is still enough space inbetween the 2 where they don't touch. I'm just not convinced it's the shroom, since the spots are in various places on the leather.

I see the line you're reffering too, and I'm sure it's just the shadow off the top of the crown. I had to use flash to get a good picture of the white spot. And nothing is muching on the leather.

Here's an overall picture showing better seperation (somewhat) between the toadstool & mushroom....

032.jpg

It may seem like they're a fair distance apart but they aren't really. It is close enough for it to be a concern. Also to the left you have a coral that extends mesenterial feeding filaments at night that could be easily stinging the leather. Believe it or not, those feeding tentacles get quite long. Nematocysts can easily become imbeded in the neighbouring coral and cause considerable damage. You really need to keep a good distance free around each coral species to prevent competition.

Why are you so sure nothing is feeding on the leather?

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, I just got the brain/pineapple coral last night and thats where I put him. I'll be moving him today.

I'm pretty sure nothing is snacking on it. My angel hasn't picked at anything so far. And I don't think it would start with the leather.

My toadstool has been sloghing more than normal lately. Would water quality such as high nitrates/phosphates cause this behavior and subsequent white spots?

Lagger said:
I'm pretty sure nothing is snacking on it. My angel hasn't picked at anything so far. And I don't think it would start with the leather.
I wasn't actually refering to the fish, although do keep an eye on it. I was rather refering to predaceous hitchikers. There are many types of worms, snails, nudibrancs, limpets and so on that will prey on soft corals. More commonly you will never see them during the photoperiod and need to be scanned for after lights out. Wait at least an hour past and take a dim flashlight or red light and scan that area of the tank in general and as much of the toadstool as possible without disturbing it. This is often the best way to discover pests.

My toadstool has been sloghing more than normal lately. Would water quality such as high nitrates/phosphates cause this behavior and subsequent white spots?
It would not cause the white spot unless the onset of necrosis. From what I can see that is not the case. 10 ppm nitrate while a little higher than desirable for a reef in general should not cause problems with most species of soft coral. It can cause sloughing though, it's how the coral shed impurities. Do a few extra water changes and see if it helps.

Do you use carbon?

Cheers
Steve

Good call. I'll keep an eye on it during the next few lights out.........

Yeah, I need to do a few large PWC anyways to get rid of the ?cyano? on my sand bed. Weird because it's not red, more of a brown & somewhat slimy algae. I've heard can be caused by old lights also, but my bulbs are only 5 months old.

Yes, I run carbon 24/7.

Lagger said:
Weird because it's not red, more of a brown & somewhat slimy algae. I've heard can be caused by old lights also, but my bulbs are only 5 months old.
Brown algae is usually caused by silicates, not lighting. Slimy brown algae is usually dinoflagellates or can be the result of poor pH/water flow.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom