Tomini Tang and now a Clown (dead)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueerfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I introduced a One Spot FoxFace to my DT 8 days ago. When introduced, my Tomini Tang chased it around, gave it a couple tail slaps to show some dominance I guess. After a couple days things seemed to settle down. A couple days after that I noticed my Tomini wouldn't come out of one of the caves in my rock. He would just swim in one spot and occasionally turn around. He did this for almost 2 days. I was thinking he didn't want the FoxFace in his spot, so I tried to scare him out with a long feeding syringe. He came out swam to the front of the tank darted all over and went to the corner and laid on his side breathing heavy. Within 3 hours he was dead. When he was in the corner he didnt look the same color, he was a little darker. I also noticed that he had what looked to be a scrape on his side. I was thinking may he was stung by the FoxFace when I spooked him out of his cave. I don't know. Now my wife gets home and one of my clowns are dead! I had two, one would swim around a lot and one would just hang out. This morning I noticed one swimming up where the FoxFace was sleeping and he ran into him a couple times. The other was doing its thing at the bottom of the tank. So is the FoxFace accidentally killing them or is something going on?

Also to note, the FoxFace is a very weird fish. It will change colors when sleeping or scared. I noticed the other day that it had about 10 small freckles on only one side and I checked on him later that day and they were gone. Everyday he has them and they seem to go away or almost all of them.

Stock
1 Maroon clown (now)
1 One Spot Fox Face
1 coral banded shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
1 feather duster
1 colony green star polyps
15 hermit crabs
7 nassarith snails

Water
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Salinity 1.023

I do a 20% water change every two weeks. Please Help!!!!

Sorry I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 long sump.

I pulled the clown out and could not find anything out of sorts. Please help! Besides some diatoms everything in tank looks good.

I had a naso tang that would change colors at night. Maybe to camoflague itself. Anyway, it would get real dark gray (almost black) and then would go back to normal during the day. Also if the foxface is aggressive, which it seems it is, then it's possible that it is killing the other fish. Try moving rocks around before introducing anything else. and keep lights after introducing...that way everyone can find a proper hiding place, and if you move stuff around the foxface will not have a place to be territorial about. Just a suggestion. Sorry about your losses. One other thought, sometimes fish just die... water perameters can be good, but fish have reached their lifespan, or have internal problems, etc.... Who knows? Sometimes it's a frustrating hobby sometimes :(:banghead:

Thanks for the advice. Not sure he's aggressive though. He might on of the most scared fish i've seen.

Back
Top Bottom