Torch Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a torch frag the beginning of the week that was part of a 9-10 head colony. The lfs guy got a hammer and chisel and put the colony on the concrete floor and whacked off my frag. When he did this, he crushed one side of it(its splitting so its like an eight shape) and it seemed to be doing fine until a couple of days ago. It closed and the piece that Brock was falling off dragging part of the flesh with it. It looks really bad and there's a brown film coming off of the affected area. Will it be ok? If so, what can I do? Thanks!

image-3958313070.jpg

He should have fragged it and kept it for a week or so to see if it was heathy enough to let go. And he used a hammer and chisel what a moron.

I'd bring it back and see if they'll hold it for you for a week or so. I've never had someone propagate a coral for me right infront of me but never heard of using a hammer and chisel.

That torch has brown jelly disease. It's thought to be a bacterial infection that effects LPS. It's contagious also. The guy did nothing wrong breaking the skeleton with a hammer and/or chisel. Personally, I would have used a dremel and made a perfect cut, since euphyllia skeletons can be so brittle, but I doubt this is what caused the BJD. I would remove the torch, shake it in a bowl of tank water to remove the brown jelly, taking care to not get any in the water column, then perhaps a lugols dip.
Put it in an area of slightly higher flow when you return it to the tank.

You might be able to save it, but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the torch already passed I think. I did what you said and there's still a small bit of flesh in the middle of it. I put it back in a high flow area, but I don't think it will make it.

Back
Top Bottom